Saturday, January 20, 2024

Jan. 19 Our last day in Kenya

 Ministry Partners,

Today was a hard day for me as the realization that it is not only my last day for prison ministry but my last day in Kenya. I never know what God has for me when one trip ends but I am trusting in my heart that God will open the doors for me again and that the provision for the trip will come.

Our breakfast at this hotel was basic but I was very thankful that they had provided something. And because both the man's and women's prisons are close and in the same location we did not have to be packed up and leave until 9:30.

Upon arriving the O.C. welcomed us into his office and had his staff prepare tea and boiled white sweet potatoes for us. Then we went to the men's section where the men were gathered in the open.  When I shared that from the time I was a young child I believed the lie of the enemy that I had no value and would never have anyone to love me and then asked them if they also heard that lie in their heads I saw a familiar response as they raised their hands. That sight is always heartbreaking for me but then I get to tell them about a Savior that loves them and thinks they are so valuable that he chose to die on the cross to pay the price for every wrong thing they would do, Rom. 5:8 "But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."  Then Jesus followed by offering them the free gift of salvation, Eph. 2:8&9 "For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God not by works, so that no one can boast." 

I then get the joy of hearing them pray and ask Jesus to forgive them and be their Savior.  Forgiving others and apologizing to someone they have had an argument with where they respond that their hearts are now peaceful makes for a absolutely wonderful day and makes all the work and effort so very worth it.

Then we went to the women's prison were we found a very small group of 19 women and 1 child with their guards under a tent and although they also had a tent for us I explained that I preferred to be under the tent closer with the women, with I did. The women accepted me right away as I explained that they were not the only one to do wrong things because God says in Romans 3:23 "For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God,". They too made 3 good choices today just like the men in salvation, forgiveness and apologizing. And watching the guards also respond is so very powerful for the inmates to witness.

Because they were few, and I had counted and had just enough, I was able to give each woman a scarf and a Bible/Discipleship booklet set. I wish you could see and hear them so excited for such a gift as a bible. Thank you to each of you who sacrificed to provide the bibles this year.

Then as Alfred was leading the closing prayer he called everyone to pray for me and had me sit in a chair in the center. The team, prison chaplains and prisoners have no idea of the very special gift they gave me. Oh my goodness what a blessing they all were to me, and yes the tears came, may I never forget this powerful day.

But before leaving we were invited again to the O.C. office where the chaplains had some women prepare a traditional African meal with Ugali, chapatti. chicken stew, beef stew, Sukuma Wiki (a like green spinach) and bottled water. Then Moses pushed the chicken stew before me taking the spoon and lifting out the gizzard saying, "The gizzard ( when you receive the gizzard you have been given the WHOLE chicken) is for a special guest, you." As 12 other people around the table look at me I knew I would honor their special gift as they watched and I ate every bite!

Then it was 4:30  and time to leave, Alfred made the decision to not stay overnight but he and Aaron would share driving 7 1/2 hours back to Kampala where we arrived at 11:30. With the roads like they are and it being dark I don't know how they even could see the rutted road at times but both Aaron and Alfred are such good drivers.

That is most of the events of yesterday.

That none would be lost,

Arlene 


1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you had a good last day in Kenya with sharing God's love. Glad you 3 made back safely back to Uganda. Blessings and prayers, Becky

    ReplyDelete