Saturday, January 13, 2024

Jan. 13 Homa Bay Men's and Women's Prison

 

Ministry Partners, 

I was happy that the prisons were close today but concerned as it rained all night and I was not sure if we would be out in the open today.

 
This darling little boy at Homa Bay Women's Prison was so happy with his new crochet cap

I had a tough night dealing with the cold I picked up, coughing and sneezing and did not really want to eat breakfast but knew I needed to eat something if I were to preach two times today. 

When we arrived at the Women's prison it was very small group of 24 women prisoners inside a very small room nut I was so thankful for the top half of the walls being wire as then there was fresh air. Even with the rain it is hot here and being in a room with no ventilation would have been difficult. My throat was so sore and my energy was depleted that when I first stood I was not sure how things would go. But the faithfulness of God to me was evident as I preached the complete crusade with power from the Holy Spirit. The women responded to all the invitations and when we were finished I was able to give each woman a bible and booklet set along with a lightweight donated nylon backpack or shopping bag. There was only one darling baby boy and Aaron picked out a grey cap for me to give him. I was happy that as he sat on my lap with my white face so close to him that he did not cry.

Then we returned to the van to wait 45 min for the staff shift change and counting to be done. It gave me the opportunity to put the seat in the van back and take much needed rest before going into the men's prison of 1,200 men. 

The meeting area was covered with open walls about half way up so again there was plenty of fresh air but the short walk there was muddy to say the least.

The men dressed some in street cloths and some it prison black and white stripped clothing with orange colored sweaters. Although I think it is plenty warm, it is cold for most of them. The preaching went well and the inmates responded to all the invitations: salvation, forgiveness and apologizing but as I started to lead them in the 'Forgiveness" prayer my voice was gone. I said a quick prayer and motioned Alfred to give me the cough drop that was in his pocket, I needed to get some moisture in my mouth. Listening to the inmates pray forgiveness over someone else or themselves is such a precious sound.

Th whole team did an amazing job today, Chaplain Edward, Pastor Alfred, Pastor Aaron and even Bishop Moses did some translating for me.

 
Chaplain Samuel said, "If you were their teacher the inmates would all get A's."

After we finished a number of inmates gave testimony to what God had done in their heart during our time there. One prisoner said he was planning on taking revenge by killing his accuser, his wife, when he got out. But today he chose to forgive her.

It was a very powerful day and the team commented on the dynamics of watching the Holy Spirit work.

Tomorrow, there is one crusade scheduled nearby and then we will travel to Kisumu to more prisons in that area.

Please continue to pray that:

  • Many more would receive Christ as Savior
  • My health and the health of the team 
  • Travel safety

That none would be lost,

Arlene

3 comments:

  1. ‭‭2 Corinthians‬ ‭12:9‭-‬10‬ ‭NIV‬‬
    [9] But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me. [10] That is why, for Christ’s sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong.
    Over and over, God keeps proving the truth of these words through you! Praise God!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adorable little boy you were able to hold. I'm glad you made it through preaching more of God's grace and prayers for the people in prisons. Healing from your cold is a must thru Jesus as he's the best physician ever!! 🙏
    We have a tad bit of snow. 20 degrees this morning a bit after 7. ⛄️

    ReplyDelete
  3. Praying for you. Hope you are feeling better today.

    ReplyDelete