Sunday, January 20, 2019

Jan. 20

Ministry Partners and Friends,

Today was an early start with loading the van at 7:20, breakfast at 7:30 and off to the prison by 8:15 so we could be there at 8:30.

I have been blessed with a bathtub, to soak my aching back, the last two night so I will miss that as most places we stay do not have tubs.

We arrived almost on time at the men's prison and as we exited the van I could hear their powerful voices singing praises. The church was large but not large enough for all to men to get inside so about 100 of them sat outside but there were large openings in the wall so many could see me and I could see them. A number of times I exited the church and stepped just outside the doorway so the men and I could see each other more clearly. Aaron had set up our portable speaker just at the edge of the door outside so everyone could hear very well.

So many young hopeless, sad and unsure faces. They seemed relieved when I said that I was NOT there to preach AT them but to share a story from the bible and to share my story with them. I have said before I have never been treated with more respect than when I am in the prisons and that was true again today.
 Salvation, forgiveness and apologizing are important decisions for all of us. I spoke about forgiveness and how choosing not to forgive allows the person who hurt us to continue to control our thinking and Satan to keep us in bondage. We are unable to be the person God created us to be and to receive all the blessings He has for us.

It was so exciting to watch the men apologize to each other and ask for forgiveness, the room was filled with them and so was outside.
This young man asked those in the room and outside that he had had disagreements with to forgive him and then he said he forgave the ones that had made trouble for him before they even asked.
The men today, like other men and women before them, all look at me like a "Mom", they know I genuinely love and care for them. All of us make mistakes and do foolish things, treating them with kindness is so very easy.
This bracelet was a sweet "Thank You" gift from a prisoner.

We were finished by 11am and it was time to head off to Nakuru, a 2 1/2 hour drive, through some more of those beautiful tea fields. Once we arrived it took some time to finally find a hotel that fit our budget but the 4th one did. It's a christian one, very basic but ever so clean.

We ordered dinner for 6 o'clock and all the guys are resting while I am trying to get this blog done so I can get to bed at a decent hour. I will let you know tomorrow how the food was.

Just know, your prayers are working. With all the traveling we have done and the way some people here drive God has kept us safe and with only 4 more days of ministry to do He has kept the team healthy. In 5 days Aaron will take me to Nairobi to catch the plane and then he will return the van and himself to Uganda, I so appreciate him, his good driving and all he does to keep me safe.

Please continue to pray.

That none would be lost,
Arlene

1 comment:

  1. We never get tired of hearing about God's grace and forgiveness that takes place in the lives of these precious people. Praying for you, dear one.

    ReplyDelete