Wednesday, December 6, 2023

Dec. 6 Meeting the new Ugandan Commissioner of Prisons

 

Ministry Partners


I made it to Entebbe, Uganda.

I am thankful that I know that God’s is in control when plans are changed.

Amsterdam Airport had difficulty getting everyone’s luggage loaded on the plane so my flight departure was delayed 1 ½ hours so instead of arriving here at 10:50 we arrived after 12. By the time we went through Immigration, drove to the hotel and I got into bed it was 3am. I do not sleep well on the plane and had only slept 2 hours in 48 hours so I can tell you the bed was a very welcome site.

I am so thankful for Pastors Peace and Aaron who came to the airport at that late time to pick me up. As soon as they saw me emerge from Immigration, they broke through the welcome line and ran to greet me. Their broad smiles were a welcoming site. Alfred was to arrive on Friday but had a change in itinerary and he will be here tomorrow, it will be so good to see him.

I was blessed on the PDX – Amsterdam flight to have the seat next to me be empty so I had plenty of room.  

In Amsterdam, I met Brenda who had a long layer over to where she was traveling so I had about an hour to share Christ’s love with her and with Charlotte who sat next to me on the Amsterdam – Entebbe leg of flight. I was able to get Comfort seating on that leg, which I was told is held first for Elite passengers.

I set my phone alarm for 7am but I found it never went off when I awoke at 8. Aaron and Peace were not up yet and I felt it would be good to let them sleep in after being up until this morning before they could go to bed.

I am so pleased that Alfred was able to get the same private house at the hotel where we stayed last trip. With enough bedrooms for all of us. It is so much nicer than being in separate hotel rooms. The very nice lady/owner of this HUGE complex came in person today to greet me, it was so good to see her again and she brought her children to also welcome me.

Breakfast was great although mine was different. Aaron and Peace had a huge plate of matooke (banana) with peanut sauce and a fruit plate of watermelon, pineapple, mango, banana and fresh pineapple juice. My breakfast was far too big with sausage, toast, chapatti, fresh pineapple juice and a lovely plate of just pineapple and African tea

Today was filled with errands, one of which was a meeting with the new Commissioner, who I was told is a Christian. I found him to be a wonderful Christian man named Jacob. I walked him through what IRM does sharing what I do in the prisons. We talked and laughed together a lot in the hour we were in his office. Praise Jesus we have found favor with the new prison administration.

For you ladies, someone gave me some personal money so I was able to stop and buy, you guessed it, new dresses, two for the price of one.

We started home which is not far but because of the “traffic jams” on almost every street we took, it took us 3 hours to get home.

They got the Wi-Fi hooked up in the house today so hopefully while we are here I will be able to get the blog posted every evening.

Thanks to everyone who is praying for my low back and sending encouraging comments and texts. Being able to take a hot bath and lay flat to sleep is helpful. I will actually will be in bed by 10 tonight.

The next few days we will be for us to get everything ready to start prison ministry. Dividing all the supplies into 36 bundles.

Thank you again for the prayer covering

That none would be lost,

Arlene

1 comment:

  1. Thanks to God that you arrived Uganda safely. Am happy for the IRM team in Uganda, please feel at home. Regards to Pr Aaron, Peace, Alfred. All the the best as you do the ministry mom

    ReplyDelete