Thursday, December 28, 2023

Dec. 28

 Ministry Partners,

Even with the other guests visiting until late outside my bedroom I was able to fall asleep and get some much needed rest. I guess that is what happens when you are exhausted. 😁

A beautiful pink scarf and tract for the lady I met yesterday
 
The lady said, "Follow me I am going that way."
 
Posting this blog everyday will contain wonderful memories for the future. Previously when I have gone back and looked at a past post/photos it reminds me of the powerful works of the Holy Spirit and of the opportunities I have had to see Him work. But there are so many thing every day He does that it is impossible to note them all. It brings such peace to me knowing that God goes before us, behind us and his protection surrounds us.

Today, we travel close to the Congo boarder to visit Bwera Prison and Nyobirongo Prison. Alfred says there will be Rebels from the Congo, political prisoners, incarcerated there, He says that it is an area where three different Ugandan tribes fight with each other so this should be a VERY interesting day.  

We had another nice buffet breakfast but some of the items are so very different from the American version although their name suggests what it is. The scones this morning were about the size of a half dollar, 3/4" tall and quite tough. We all took our bananas, muffins, scones and whole-less doughnut (?) with us for lunch. I asked that the chef put cheese in my omelet and it was quite tasty as well as the sausages and potato pieces. I did not have the beans, chicken wings or matooke (cooked banana).
 
Today we were VERY close to the Congo boarder. On the way to Bwera prison we needed to ask directions from a boda-boda (motor bike) driver but when we started to talk with him the lady, i a beautiful pink dress, about to get on his bike said,"Oh, you want to go to Bwere, follow us I'll show you the way." We followed them quite a distance to the gate of the prison where she then said she would proceed on her way. Goodness how nice of her to go our of her way to see that we got to the right place. I grabbed a nice scarf and a tract and gave it to her while Alfred took our photo. Just another time when God had just the right person to help us.

The two prisons today were small farm prisons but the Holy Spirit did a mighty work in both of them as we watched even the O.C.'s and guards make decisions.
 
The O.C. thanked us for coming and said that they could  help them with learning rules, learning to farm  and other things but spiritual things were a different matter. It started to sprinkle a bit as we arrived and I asked the Lord to please hold back the rain until we finished and he did although the O.C. said I had brought the blessing of rain. The prisoners were just finishing eating so we sat in the van for a few minutes and ate the snacks we had brought from breakfast. But as I watched the prisoners pass by me to enter the grassy knoll to hear me speak, my heart hurt. Almost all of them were such young boys and they were so ashamed that they had a hard time looking at me as I shook their hand with some of them so I hesitated for a few seconds until they looked up at me and I could look into their eyes and smile.  Just as we were finishing there was the loudest clap of thunder I had ever heard.and the rain began to fall. Once again the Lord gave us just enough time to present the message he had sent us there to share.

I know I have written about the roads here but the road to Congo and to the prisons were something that was unbelievable. I told Aaron that I did not know how he could even move his shoulders after driving the road. Literally so may pothole, some as big as a bathtub and half as deep and so many that at times there was no pavement at all. cars and trucks all dodging potholes and missing pavement on the sides of the road. All of us could not help at one point but to laugh at the situation as Alfred said to Aaron, "Your driving like you are mad at the car." We drove past Queen Elizabeth Game Park but did not see any animals.

It was good to finally arrive back at the hotel, it will be our last night here. Dinner was good s the guys had Curry and I had steamed vegetables , vegetable rice and they had beef so it was beef stroganoff for  me. I am now in my room finishing this blog, them I will bathe and go to bed by 9.

I cannot say it enough...... thanks for continuing to pray for us. God is allowing us to be part of the amazing work the Holy Spirit is doing here.

That none would be lost,
Arlene


2 comments:

  1. Once again we see how God works - miracle after miracle. You are exactly where God wants you to be and He directs your paths, even though they are bumpy (ha). I love how God puts people in your path to give you directions. I love how you wait for the prisoners to look at you in the eye and you smile back. What a blessing they will never forget - the love of Jesus.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad you made it through the mud on the roads with Alfred and crew! Sad to know so many young men were in prison but you encouraged them in your kindness and sharing God's word!!

    ReplyDelete