Wednesday, December 27, 2023

Dec. 27 We almost did 3 prisons today

Ministry Partners,

The days are clicking along but it is so hard to believe that at the end of today we have completed 1/2  of our scheduled prison crusades here in Uganda.

Last night was a bit difficult as in the corridor outside my room a very long table with 27 chairs was set up for a large party of children with a few mothers. It became very apparent that I was not going to get any sleep until after they ate and went to bed, they did not start eating until 10. 

I ordered beef stroganoff for dinner but they came about 20 later to my room and said they did not have any of the beef items that appeared on the menu. So I ended up having chicken stroganoff since the only other choice was fish. Although the stroganoff was quite different than anything I have ever had, it was quite good. And breakfast was a buffet of items. The guys sure do not have to worry about me finding something I can eat here. 


It only took us about 30 min. to arrive to our first farm prison today and the cotton fields were something to observe. One side of the road was just cotton growing and on the other side of the road the cotton had corn rows every so often.

The Deputy O.C. that welcomed us appeared to be so young but was so very nice and a bit handsome. He originally told us that because of security reasons he would not allow the 24 women and 1 baby to come and sit in the grassy area that was close. He said we could go and do a separate crusade for them but after chatting a bit with Alfred and Alfred explaining that we were scheduled to be at another prison in the afternoon, he changed his mind and had the women guards bring the women inmates to the grassy area. I am not sure what was going on but as I watched the women walking up the road toward us they walked the slowest I have ever seen.

The faces appear usual, sad, questioning and distrustful but curious and the had shaking I do as Aaron sets up the sound system lighten the mood immediately. I think the inmates are so used to people coming and telling them how bad they are that they don't know what to do with an old mzungu (white) lady that touches their hands in kindness. In fact, over and over again they tell us that no one has ever come to preach the kind of message we do. I never tell them how bad they are, rather I tell them that when Jesus was on the cross He knew every wrong thing they would do and yet He loved them so much and thought they had such value that He chose to die in their place and then offered them the gift of salvation, Eph. 2:8&9

All the invitations today wee responded too and the testimonies were powerful. One woman inmate said she had two children but the men in her husbands family ALL wanted to share her. She refused and her husbands older brother killed her first child and he family said she did it and sent her to prison for 10 years. Then her second child was also killed. Today she chose to forgive them all.

The Deputy O.C. told me as we walked to the van that my forgiveness message had impacted him and he thanked me for coming.

It took us just 20 minutes to drive to the second prison and just as we arrived at the gate I saw a man and woman sorting tomatoes, putting them in huge baskets and wrapping the baskets with dried banana leaves. I got a scarf and tract out of my bag and walked to her. She smiled broadly as I placed the beautiful bright pink scarf in her hands

The inmates were still in the field so we waited about an hour for them to return and then have their dinner. We did the whole crusade and although they originally said we had to finish at 4 but we went until 4:30. I could see the guards who were all gathered above where the inmates were seated where very involved in what we were teaching.

One inmate said I had come just for him, that he had had to report his friend for stealing some maze that they had been told not to touch and that caused a bad disagreement between them. He said he knew that when they went to bed that very night that they would have a fight. But my teaching gave him the opportunity to apologize to his friend and they forgave each other, then he had his friend stand up. 

Again and again the Holy Spirit gives us strength and a fresh anointing to do what he has called us here to do and then we get to watch Him work in the hearts of the inmates. It really is too powerful for adequate words.

Alfred had Curry for dinner and Aaron and I had stroganoff  again and I had them make a coleslaw with pineapple salad for Alfred and I to share. I have been so hungry for crunchy and fresh.

Well it is 8 pm and I am tired so that is it for tonight. 

Please continue to pray for:

  • Open hearts for the Gospel
  • Favor with those we meet
  • Strength and a fresh anointing for the team
  • Traveling mercies

That none would be lost,

Arlene

1 comment:

  1. I am glad you got to do what was needed and people receiving Jesus as their savior is another good thing in their lives and yours, Arlene!! God bless you as you keep on doing God's plan!!

    ReplyDelete