Sunday, December 24, 2023

Dec. 24 2 crusades for Christmas Eve day in Uganda

 Ministry Partners,

Yesterday Alfred acquired an interesting place for us to stay for two nights at a VERY reasonable price. I'm told it's similar to what the original king have you Uganda would have lived in. So once again we are blessed to have a family “ home” and it is fairly cool although there is no air conditioning for the VERY hot days. But late yesterday afternoon as I was in my room working on the blog Aaron and Alfred were sitting out on the front porch and I heard Alfred called my name. When I went to investigate Alfred pointed up and as I looked up there at the edge of our porch right above me was a nasty bat with huge eyes hanging there looking directly at me . I couldn't help myself it gave me the creeps but a bit later when the bat was still there Alfred chased it away. 


 
Our first visitor

 I was thankful for the peanut butter we always carry with us as I had some on some bread with jelly for breakfast along with a few fried potatoes with onions, pineapple and tea. The guys are always happy with local foods but I find it hard to eat cooked green bananas with peanut sauce, you would think I could get used to it after so many years.

 We were thankful today that the prison was fairly close and when we arrived we met a most lovely O.C. who had the prisoners all ready for us and then she brought in the women to sit on the other side of a metal fence with their guards. I had expected to do 2 crusades here because of the amount of women so I was glad that she brought them so I could do one.

The prisoner sat in front of me behind a tiny quarter inch rope up on 12 inch pieces of wood. I reached across and shook hands with the number of the inmates as I made my way to the chairs they had provided along with the table to put our object lessons on.  

It's always hard to watch the prisoners sitting the sun when it is so hot, when it is overcast that's another thing. At one point the O.C. had the women get up and move to under a small tree for shade. It is always such a joy to watch/hear the prisoners asking Jesus for forgiveness and then choosing to forgive others and apologize to other inmates of officials. But this trip we are watching the officials also apologize to each other.

When we finished the crusade and the inmates were giving their testimonies I went around the wire fence and age the mothers with babies caps and all the women scarves. Before leaving prayed for them and I told both groups Merry Christmas.

The O.C. was so nice she called the next prison on our list and asked if we could come today instead of tomorrow because that prison was close. The O.C. there agreed so off we went and indeed it was fairly close. Butiti Prison was a very small one with 101 prisoners and no women or children. I was pleased that the prisoners were able to sit under the porch overhang and for the most part stay out of the sun, while I had shade for the most part.

The O.C. was not there when we started but explained later. Inmates as well as guards responded to all the invitations. It was something to watch the guards apologizing to each other. When we finished the O.C. who had been sitting behind me spoke to the prisoners about my forgiveness message, then he apologized to all of the prisoners. Not sure what that was all about but it was powerful to watch.

Finished with our 2nd crusade for the day it was time to head to our hotel. It was a busy day but one filled with the Holy Spirits work.

The restaurant did not have any food I chose to eat so I opted for a PP&J while the guys ate their local foods. Hopefully our new hotel tomorrow will ave a good choice for me.

I am going to try and watch the Candle Light Service from my home church in a few minutes (if I have it timed right).

A happy Christmas Eve to all of you.

That none would be lost,

Arlene

1 comment:

  1. Merry Christmas to you dear friend! Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace and goodwill to all men and women, especially those in Africa these days!

    ReplyDelete