Saturday, December 23, 2023

Dec. 23

 Ministry Partners,

Another beautiful morning in Uganda. I was so hot last night and the windows in my room do not have screens so the brought me a fan. It just make me laugh as although they were trying to see that I was comfortable the fan made so much noise that I could not sleep and had to get up and turn it off. Bang, whir, bang-band, whir, bang..........you get the idea. 😊


Madagascar Cardamom
We then traveled over an hour towards tomorrows prison and the prison for the following day. Along side the road young boys were selling a cluster of red fruit (?) and Alfred stopped and bought some. He was insistent that I taste it .......YUCK, it was so extremely bitter. He won't need to share with me again. 

Breakfast was interesting, since I have been coming to Africa the comped breakfasts have offered a good huge verity depending on the hotel or guest house. Today gave a lot to be desired, instead of us being able to choose what we wanted they brought us 2 items and no fruit but there was African tea for the guys. I have decided to cut down the consumption of milk so I will only have it once in awhile.

I was thankful we were only 6 min. from the prison today. Like I said before every prison has it own "flavor" and today's flavor was sweet although small 176 men and 2 women. The Deputy O.C. who welcomed us was a very beautiful young woman who said we would have to wait a bit as some of the prisoners had gone to the river to bathe. The inmates were curious of us and our vehicle with IRM door signs but everyone quickly assembled inside making ready for us. I was so pleased that this O.C. and head guard both sat at the table prepared for us and stayed for our whole crusade, responding to the invitations just like the prisoners.

Most of the prisoners sat in the open before me but some stood around the edge of those sitting, all in the open sun. But the team was given honor as we were under the shade of a huge tree. As I preach my attention is sometimes grabbed by the faces of some prisoners, those the empty dark eyes, those whose eyes are glued to me and those who acknowledge agreement with what I am saying by nodding their head. When it is a small group like today I notice more. One inmate was there in a suit as he was being released later in the day. I was glad that he stayed through the entire crusade and he had been given one of the bibles IRM donated to the prison.

Today the staff responded to the invitations just like the prisoners and it was interesting to watch the lead guard and Deputy O.C. apologizing to each other. 

When we asked for testimonies one prisoner said his mother had thrown him away when he was 6 months old and he has hated her, how could a mother do that to her son? But today after listening to the message of forgiveness he has decided to forgive her and when he is released he will try and find her and be reconciled with her.

One prisoner said he had been planning revenge on the person that sent him to prison by killing him but after receiving Jesus as his Savior and listening to the teaching on "Forgiveness" he knew he had to forgive the man.

When we were finished the Deputy O.C. said the prisoners had nothing to give me in thanks for coming but would like to sing for me for my upcoming birthday year. The prisoners all rose and sang "Happy Birthday" to me. Oh goodness, what a precious gift. Before leaving I was able to give the 2 women prisoners, who were seated a bit away with a guard, a donated scarf.

Alfred was able to procure us an authentic African "house" similar to the one the original Ugandan king would have lived in. Because of the roof it is fairly cool inside which I am thankful for as there are no screens on the windows.Because I live alone at home it really is a blessing when the team can stay in lodging as a family.

We all ordered Sweet & Sour Pork with 1/2 chips, 1/2 rice and coleslaw w/pineapple to be ready at 5 but when Alfred went to check on it since it was 5:20 they told him it would be another hour.

I will let you know tomorrow how tonight's dinner goes as I want to et this posted. 

Hard to believe that tomorrow is Christmas Eve, I hope you have the opportunity to go to a Candle light Service. I will miss going.

Blessings dear friends,

That none would be lost,

Arlene

2 comments:

  1. Merry Christmas, Arlene. Praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hopefully the dinner was worth waiting for. Ha. I love hearing how the Holy Spirit works in lives and you see the evidence in front of your eyes. Can hardly wait until heaven to hear all of these testimonies.

    ReplyDelete