Thursday, July 30, 2015

July 30

Ministry Partners,

Today I woke to a very cool morning but no rain although dew covered the chairs and tables in the garden area.

After dinner last night I was doing paperwork in my room when Alfred came with Julius, the young man that works here that received Christ as his Savior last year, for me to explain the details of the eventful day at the prison yesterday. He was awe struck when we talked a few days ago and he said, "They bring the prisoners outside to hear you?" to which I responded, "No, we go inside the walls." After we had talked a bit Julius told Alfred that he had asked me a few days ago to explain how/why I felt called to visit prisons and again he said, "Why would you go to such places, they are dangerous."

I have never had a doubt in my heart that EVERYTHING about this prison ministry has been God's plan for me and that is just one reason I have never had any fear. I still do not understand it but I know the Holy Spirit has equipped me and it is by the Lord's provision and direction. I have always trusted the Savior and I am secure in Him, as I have followed His leading, while He has opened and led me through the most unusual doors. And through it all I am the one who is blessed abundantly as my heart has been filled with His peace and joy.
Roadside vendors - tomatoes anyone?

No matter where we travel roadside vendors of every kind are everywhere. Then you go 1/8 to 1/4 mile or so and more and another "village" with vendors with the same types of products are available again. The scene is repeated no matter how close or far we travel on the highway or dirt roads. It makes sense when so many do not drive but walk and carry everything for their daily needs.

Today we left at 11 for a 2+ hour drive on the West side of Kampala. We traveled through tea and sugar can plantations to an area where I did a Women's Conference with a co-op group of women the first year I was here and today I did another one there. One of the leaders is Alfred's mother-in-law who had a delicious meal fixed for us when we arrived at her home. Alfred's sister-in-law named "Praise" made the drive with us and translated for me. She looks like Blessing, Alfred's wife, and really sounds like her when she talks. She did a great job translating and said the women conveyed how thankful I had come and for the lessons I taught. She said the lessons also were a blessings to her.

The women were eating the lunch IRM provided for them when  we arrived but they started singing as soon as they saw me. After the messages I handed out Bibles and Discipleship Booklets to all the women who did not receive one the last time I was here and they gifted me with two lovely "Thank You" gifts. It was such a sweet time with these wonderful women.
Some wonderful women with Arlene

The guys arrived to pick us up after fixing the tire so it would not wobble. Are any of you laughing with me about the issues we have had over this van? Please believe me no other year has ever been like this when it came to our vehicle.

We did not arrive back at home base in Kampala until 7:30 and since they promised our spaghetti dinner in 15 min. which really meant 30 min. I opted to just work on this blog and take my hot bath afterwards.

Tomorrow is a day for IRM business and Sat. is for packing and getting ready to return home. I would appreciate grace in the writing and spelling within these blog posts as I am usually too tired to go back and proof read. But I think you get the just of what I am trying to convey.

It's about 10:30 and after literally falling asleep in the tub I think it is time for lights out!!!

That none would be lost,
Arlene

No comments:

Post a Comment