Wednesday, July 22, 2015

July 22

Ministry Partners,

Indeed, it is hard to believe that we have already been in Uganda and in only two weeks I will be flying back to America.

Although I miss the ease, usually, of getting around on our roads and freeways  I know when I get home I will miss seeing people everywhere and when you extend a smile and greeting one is returned to you from the locals here.

Today after breakfast we had to wait a bit to load up as Aaron had to take the car in, this time to have a flat fixed. Somehow Alfred got a puncture and had the spare put on but we did not want to travel out of town today with our spare already on as we were fairly sure the trails we would be on would require four sturdy tires.
That darling baby girl with Arlene
Pastor Geoffrey's spiritual daughter came by with her baby and I did not need to be coached into holding her sweet three month old darling baby girl.

As we finished loading up Alfred's next youngest sister arrived to go with us for the day. I can tell you one thing for sure, Alfred's birth mother must have been very beautiful as both girls are also beautiful and Alfred is handsome. Alfred says my assessment of his mother is correct.

We got waylaid in Kampala City so our arrival at Sentama Prison, a change from Butuntumula Prison where we though we were going yesterday, was not until shortly after 3. The Director was not present but we were warmly greeted by the Assistant Director, a very small older woman. This is another small prison on 145 with 10 women and 2 babies.
A day at Sentema Prison
The Director informed us the women are kept in a secure area and not allowed where she had instructed us to set up but after a conversation with Alfred she agreed to allow them to also be present. With no electricity I was unable to use my wireless mic so I decided not to use one of the cordless mic's that go with our battery operated sound system. By the time I try to hold my Bible, turn pages in my message and hod a mic it just becomes TOO much. It's far more important for them to hear the interpreters.  

All of the inmates were under a cover while the guys and I were in the sun so I quickly put on some sun screen on my forehead and nose, the last thing I need now is a sunburn. Pastor Geoffrey, Ann, the Director, a woman guard and another woman all sat on benches adjacent to where the prisoners were.

Afret the crusade and the discipleship teaching time I explained about the blankets, Bibles and Discipleship Booklets we had brought and then I pulled out the bag of lovely donated scarves and when to where the women were seated.They stood as I approached and giggled as I kissed each one on the cheek, placed the scarf in her hand and gave her a hug. I noticed how the watching men were also laughing ....... only later when I questioned Alfred about it did I understand. In their culture they would kneel before me in greeting, Alfred said both the men and the women were surprised and valued by my actions. Goodness I am so glad I greeted them first and so very thankful for everyone who donated thos beautiful scarves.

As the team was packing up I explained to the inmates how much I enjoyed hearing them sing with no instruments asking them if they would sing a worship song or two and one young man quickly came forward to lead them.

As the women were filing out back to their quarters two speaking  English said to me, "Please remember to pray for us". Please do remember, along with me, to pray for them.

The Director said some kind and gracious words about us to the prisoners and later to me as I was about to enter our van.

A short way from the prison we stopped and gave God praise for what we had watched  the Holy Spirit do and then ate our Peanut Butter sandwiches since we had not had time before. The rutted, narrow dire road did not seem quite so long as it had on the way there as we were quickly back at the main road but before arriving there I spotted an old woman walking along the road on my side. As we passed I looked at her and our eyes met then she not only smiled but waved before I got a chance too. I had Alfred stop the van as I got into my backpack and retrieved a tract and scarf. I greeted her and as I placed the scarf in her hands her smile got even bigger. Thank you Jesus for another great opportunity to share your love in a tangible way.  


Sharing God's love in a tangible way
It was well after dark before we arrived back at home base, everyone a bit tired but grateful for our amazing day.

Alfred called Pastor C., a former Rwandan prisoner/pastor who took our Spiritual Leader Training at Nsinda Prison who is now living in Uganda to invite him to accompany us to our crusade on Sat.. It will be good to see him again. Alfred also contacted Pastor John from the Foursquare Church here to ask for directions and advise him that we planned on meeting him and enjoying his church service this Sunday. It appears we will not just be attending but I will be preaching as well. He laughed when I told him I had planned on hearing him preach and then he said, "Next time."

That none would be lost,
Arlene

No comments:

Post a Comment