Sunday, July 12, 2015

July 11th

Ministry Partners,

The team was split into two today so Arlene could host a Women's Conference near Kigali and the rest of the team could run around town and get some items on the to-do list taken care of.  The first part of the blob is written by Arlene followed by Chad:

It's hard to believe that in only 3 days I will leave this beautiful country and more importantly these beautiful people.

Today I had the wonderful opportunity of having a Women's Conference with 220 ladies.  This association of Pentecostal churches allows no jewelry, hair cut short and traditional dress so as soon as we pulled up outside and my translator made me aware of the situation I was able to remove all my jewelry except my watch which I was told was ok. My hair just had to stay as did my long dress, tomorrow when I com back to speak at the church services I will wear the traditional dress I brought with me and I will put my hair up.

We were to start at 10 but since we misjudged how long it would take to drive there so we were about 20 minutes late in arriving and then the pastor wanted to take with me in his office before I started. All that to say it was also time to listen to the women worship ....... a very good thing. The pastor and I adjusted the schedule and it was time to begin. I must admit one of the things I love about Rwanda is seeing the women in their traditional dress with their heads wrapped, so walking into the sanctuary and seeing the array of smiles and vibrant color.

The leadership had invited church women from other area churches yet they blended into a community of women who welcomed me with exception of hearing from God's word. Such an occasion is ALWAYS humbling almost the entire for me but then if God could use a donkey then He can use even someone like me.

I shared about the Samaritan woman and a bit of my story before I gave the invitation to which the entire room responded. Once they realize that the wonderful religious heritage they have heard about all their lives can actually be personal it is so wonderful watching the Holy Spirit bring them to a personal relationship with the Savior. The handed out Bibles and Discipleship Booklets to everyone and as usual it brought smiles and a celebration of singing and dancing. At one point I was even able to dance with them.
The  women holding their new Bibles

The traditional lunch we provided for was not ready so I continued with teachings on their value and new identity in Christ but my personal testimony of "Why" along with the message proved to be a tool the Holy Spirit used to speak into EVERY woman's heart. It was beautiful to watch each woman respond. Lunch was then served and was enjoyed by each one. I had the great opportunity as they ate to walk around and hug the women and kiss the babies. Goodness, so many beautiful, sweet babies.

I was a bit sad when our time was over but I hope to see many of them tomorrow when I will be there to preach for the morning services.

Aaron and Chad was a bit late picking Prisca and I up due to traffic issues but we made the drive back to Kigali in good order. We waited for Alfred to get back to the guest house and get ready for our dinner invitation with the Executive Secretary, Western Province, whom I had met in the states. Alfred had a "to do" list that was a mile long to get done today in preparation of our leaving.  It will be hard to see Chad go as he has been such a integral part of the team.
Arlene and an attendee

All and all it was a wonderful day but bed time at 11 was a welcome event. We must be up for breakfast at 6 in order to set off at 6:30 to be at the church for the first of three services at 8.

I'm off to bed,
Arlene

Chad's update:

Today we had a pretty substantial list of items needing attention around town.  We headed towards the town of  Rwagama to drop off Arlene for her Women's Conference.  Traffic is finicky here as it took an hour  and a half to drive there but only an hour to return.  We picked up some gifts for Arlene, found some quick food, bounced around between the airline ticket offices looking for the cheapest flight for Arlene and Alfred when they hop over to Uganda in a few days.  Without a moment to spare we headed back towards Rwagama expecting an hour of driving time to get us back in time to pick up Arlene.  Traffic decided an hour wasn't long enough and an hour and forty five minutes later we showed up with our tail between our legs and only poor planning to blame.
That none would be lost
Chad

No comments:

Post a Comment