Wednesday, July 29, 2015

July 28

Ministry Partners,

It's hard to believe that in six days I will be flying home ........ I'm not ready.

I am up early today as there is a ....... quite close to where we are staying and even with earplugs the call to worship at 5 am usually prevents any further sleep and today is one of those days. Sunday Pastor John was telling us that the M...... are making quite a push for the young people graduating from high school telling them that they will see to it that they will go on to college to become layers if they will become a M......  . I must admit I see them everywhere, with the women and young girls, even very young girl children wearing their burkas (?) in varying degrees. Please pray for the truth of the Gospel to be known in this country.

Today our van was quite packed a we needed to take the allotted Bibles & booklets for each prison, the blankets the prison authorities had us purchase for them as well as our water and lunch supplies and our small suitcases.we traveled quite a distance to visit our 7th prison but first we passed by the prison we will do ministry in tomorrow just to let them know we will be there tomorrow. It was a good thing as they told us that they send them to court at 10 so if we want to minister to all 71 prisoners then we need to be there shortly after 7 in order to present everything as most of them would be gone at 10am. Since we are staying 45 - 60 minutes away we will have to pack the car by 6, gobble down the complimentary breakfast and be on the road no later than 6:30. Tomorrow will be another long day but it is the last prison for this trip.

Officer in Charge & Arlene
We made it to Ssaza Prison by 2:30 and were kept waiting outside the large metal doors for quite a while although Pastor Geoffrey gave them our letter from the Prison Commissioner. Then the guard allowed us to pull our van inside but we were told to wait for the O.C. which we did. When he arrived he was a round faced gentleman with a most broad and charming smile who graciously welcomed us. He agreed tome having my photo taken with him and when I told him I was 71 and "Mama" to many and asked for permission to give him a hug as the photo was being taken he laughed out loud and agreed. I then noticed that a paper sheet with some good advise was posted on his wall and asked if I could take a photo of it and he gave permission. I told him the advise was good for Ugandans and for Americans.

I was told we did not have full time so I clipped what I could of my messages and Alfred got a few extra minutes so we were able to complete everything. At one point in my testimony I talk about never hearing "I love you" from my parents as a child growing up (most Americans did not say it back then) and how the best gift they can give their children is free and I challenge them at every opportunity to tell their children, "I love you, Jesus loves you, God has created you unique and special and he has a good plan for your life, I love you." I tell  them it will speak such value into the lives of their children and then I ask them how many of them wish they had heard that from their parents .......... and the response is heartbreaking as they ALL raise their hands.

One prisoner spoke of what our coming had meant to the inmates and I finished by giving the 7 women prisoners a hug, African greeting and a beautiful scarf. It's so interesting some of the reactions and gestures we see from the inmates. One of the women who appeared to be M....... was a bit standoffish from the beginning but made both the decision for salvation and to forgive someone else or yourself but when I gave her the scarf she hugged me solidly and when I went to the next women I saw her put the folded scarf up to her face and bury her complete face in it. I had to then turn in another direction so I don't know how long she held it there. May she know the pure peace of God in her life!

We will stay overnight here and then on the way back to Kampala area tomorrow we sill stop and do ministry in our 8th and final prison. But extra good new, thank you Jesus for the special blessing as Geoffrey called and talked to the O.C. at tomorrows prison and it seems the man earlier today gave us the wrong info about us needing to be there so early tomorrow. The O.C. wants us there at 2pm so we do not need to leave here until noon. Yippee, I can sleep in as breakfast is not until 8 and then we will have a team meeting covering the events of the mission trip.
Talapia, chips & salad



Tonight everyone, including me, had a deep fried whole fish, Talapia w/ clips and salad while we ate outside under the palm trees. It was good but TOO MUCH FOOD.

I will miss a hot bath tonight as my room only has an "African type Shower" but I am almost too tired to care.

Another day to give God praise for His faithfulness and goodness.

That none would be lost,
Arlene

No comments:

Post a Comment