Thursday, July 16, 2015

July 15 .......

Ministry Partners,

Today was the travel day for us to fly to Uganda but it was also filled with some interesting unexpected events.

After our final breakfast in the dining hall it was time to say farewell and give parting gifts to those who served us so well. New sturdy canvas shopping bags and scarves for the woman who prepared and served us breakfast, the woman who cleaned our rooms and for the woman who works in the office. Then two ties for the other two men who work in the kitchen in the evening, the gate/night  watchman not forgetting the man who kept Alfred's shoes polished and helped carry Bibles and luggage.

Then Alfred's Uncle came for a few minutes, it was nice to meet him as I had never met him before. We chatted for a bit as Alfred settled the IRM bill with the office.

Then a friend from a few years ago, Loice, came by with her two children, one was a new baby of just a few months and I got to hold him. I am so sorry that the internet connection is not allowing me to add photos at this time as he certainly was a cutie!

Then we called a friend that used to drive me to speak a the church in Kayonza years ago. He could not speak English so all the way there and back was an English lesson as he so desired to speak English so that he could drive a taxi at the airport. I gave him a very small financial gift for his formal English classes and he studied hard as he now speaks English well. It was such a joy to see him again and he looked so very polished and professional in his dark suit and coordinated shirt and tie. He told me he was now the owner of two taxi's and I could just tell the pride he took in them as the one he took us to the airport in was spotless, inside and out. I prayed for him, his family and his business as we drove and I told him how very proud I was of him but mostly he just chatted over and over again about our beginning friendship and how God has blessed him. If I am able to post photos later perhaps I can post the one that Alfred took of us.

When we arrived at the security check inside the airport it became a bit comical as I had pushed and crammed my soft backpack, that was filled, into the top of my already filled rolling backpack so there would not be a question about the number of pieces I was carrying. After everything went through the scanner I was pulled aside as a young woman began to pull everything out that had been very neatly put inside. She was ever so exact ..... looking at my underwear, sleep attire, make-up and everything last minute that I had put in. Then she came to the food items and opened a lg. bag that had once held lots of jerky but now only a small amount. When we explained it was a snack we were requested to eat some in her presence to prove it and that was also the case of the almost full jar or peanut putter that we had used at breakfast on our French Toast to which Alfred dipped the tip of his pinky in, and ate showing her it was safe, since no knife or spoon was available. In the end I was faced with a mountain of jumbled stuff to now hurriedly try to cram back in.

We arrived at the gate just in time to board for the short flight, 30-40 min., to Uganda. I must say the pilot  made the softest landing ever, not even the slightest rub but gently just rolled down the runway. I told the flight attendant to please convey to the pilot how much I appreciated the landing.
I needed a visa but was surprised that it was $100 as last year it was $30.

Pastor Aaron was at the gate to receive us, it was good to see his smiling face. The traffic from Entebbe to Kampala was as I expected from last year .......... crazy!!! It was good to arrive at Joka's where we will be staying and Julius was there too welcome us.

Please pray for allof us as we enter into the last half of our ministry time in Africa,

That none would be lost,
Arlene

No comments:

Post a Comment