Friday, July 29, 2016

July 29 ......The prisoners prayed for us

Ministry Partners,

Thank you so much for faithfully praying for us.

Last night after posting on this blog and bathing I was able to get into bed at 8:20 and I know I was asleep by 8:30. That may not seem important but even past team mates will tell you that I am usually busy getting things ready for the next day or posting on this blog making my usual bedtime at 11, 12 or a bit later. Today my eyes did not open until 6 and I did not get up once during the night. 10 ½ hours sleep is unheard of but the Lord knew was so needed.

Please continue to pray for our health, strength and sleeping as Alfred told me at breakfast that he woke at 2 and was not able to return to sleep until about 5. Being the coordinator for this trip is not easy and a full time job as he is on the phone so much at times I think that phone is permanently attached to his ear! He has to contact each O.C. the night before to alert them of our coming and then a number of times the day of our visit to confirm that they are ready for us. All of us try to keep free of outside distractions so we can stay focused on what God has called us to do here.

As my son, Alfred likes to tease me and I tease him in return and this morning at breakfast was one of those times as I told him I was going to write what he did on the blog. The team as gotten to where they enjoy the American peanut butter and Alfred for one puts it on his toast for breakfast BUT this morning I looked over and he had but it on his omelet!!!! He appeared to like it but I am pretty sure it is something I will NOT try.

I was able to get the remaining supplies in my suitcases sorted and ready for distribution. The prison we are going to today is another small one called Kitala but the O.C. does not want us there until 2:30 so we will be able to go to town and exchange some of our U.S. dollars for Schillings. 

I always try to buy one authentic African dress while I am here to wear after I return home and began doing my power point presentations and yesterday on our walk to the car from the bank I stopped a dress that might work. Although the young lady had some clothing hanging on the wall of the building her shop was down the stairs similar to a basement walk-in closet. But I did have my personal money with me so I did not buy it. 

Today we headed out to the prison but went through downtown Kampala so Alfred could go to the bank and finally get some IRM money and then take it to exchange for schillings. After dropping Alfred off at the bank we went and parked at our special parking place. Geoffrey stayed in the car and Aaron walked with me to take another look at the dress I saw yesterday and this time I took my money.

An older woman, Alice, was there and she said she was the owner and that the young woman I met before was her daughter. The shop had no lighting and was extremely dark so Alice had quite a time finding the dress that I had seen before. 

Shopkeeper, Alice and Arlene

While she was looking I spotted another dress that looked promising but I had to take it outside in the hallway to look at it in the sunlight. It was not a color I would usually wear, copper, but the embroidery is beautiful that I decided to buy it. The guys all agree that I should wear it Sunday when I speak at the graduation.

What a blessing to have Alfred finally appear with some of the IRM money so now we can have funds to operate on. Since it was noon time we had our sandwich before getting on the road to the prison again. 

For the first time this year the O.C. was a woman and yet thiswas an all men’s prison of 113. We followed the same format and the Holy Spirit brought many to saving knowledge in Jesus Christ including the O.C. and one Muslim man.

When we ended 4 prisoners gave a testimony about their experience from our being there. One talked about what it meant  for him to receive God’s free gift of salvation  and another ,who spoke very good English, also shared and then said the prisoners wanted to pray for us so he had them extend their hands toward us and he led them in a powerful prayer for us. Having prisoners pray for us like that was a first for me and it brought tears to my eyes.

It was a great time handing out English and Luganda Bible sets to every prisoner. I wish I could convey how hungry they are for a copy of God’s word for themselves, as soon as they get one they open it and start reading. It brings such joy to my heart, it’s a wonderful sight!

The Assistant O.C. said that some people bring rice and such but after it is eaten there is nothing but with a copy of God’s Word it can continue to speak to their hearts and help them, She said Bibles are what they need.

Then we started on the 40 minute drive home at 5 o’clock but since its Friday the roads are more clogged than ever, its just something to experience! It took us 3 ½ hours to arrive back at our hotel. It was the second time we were almost too tired to eat. 

Please pray for us as tomorrow at the O.C. at Kitalya Prison, our 7th prison, does not want us there until 2 so we will be driving home at the same late time. I want to get to be as early as I can since I am speaking at the Bible School graduation on Sunday and Sunday evening I am doing a church crusade.

Please continue to pray as we are watching the Holy Spirit do an amazing work in the hearts of those we are ministering to and in our own lives.

That none would be lost,
Arlene

No comments:

Post a Comment