Tuesday, July 22, 2014

July 21 - Goodby Uganda

Ministry Partners,

Goodby gets harder each year as I return home but leave my family and what God has called me yo do here for this season. BUT the new friendships and memories from this trip are a treasure to my heart. I will actually miss being called Mama and Mommie by everyone ....... I love being 70!

Yesterday, July 20th, was our last village church, Christ Like Church International Ministries, crusade. The church is pastored by Pastor Paul, another newly wed. 
Arlene with Pastor Paul and his wife

It was a memorable one as all the others have been. I preached for almost 1 1/2 hr until 1:30 at a service that started much earlier than our arrival at 11:30. I wonder how one service lasting 3 1/2 to 4 hours would work in America?

As usual we picked up Pastor Geoffrey on the way so we would not get lost. Goodness the road (path) there was unbelievable, narrow, rutted and at one point there was such a deep wide rut that Pastor Aaron got out in front of the van to guide Alfred so we would not fall into the crevice.

Not long after we arrived and sat down a woman holding her baby had a demonic attack and two ushers carried/walked her out as Alfred leaned over and said, "She is why we are here." I told Pastor Geoffrey to start praying for her. She returned some time later as I began to preach and although I was preaching to the church in general I specifically tried to look her in the eyes as I talked about the enemy of our soul, Satan and how he wants to destroy us and keep us bound when we choose a life of sinful choices. As soon as I caught her eyes she would look away but as I preached I was also asking the Holy Spirit to intercede. As I gave the invitation she was the one of the first to stand and I watched as her eyes and face softened and became peaceful.
 
Pastor Paul said she was new to the church but they would find out where she lived and follow-up.

What an amazing thing it is to watch the Holy Spirit work in such a way. At the end of the service we gave all those who had received Christ a Bible and Discipleship Booklet and presented the pastors wife with a gift bag. The church, Christ Like Church International Ministries, then presented me with an envelope, an offering, this gracious church wanted to support the efforts of IRM.
For a second time in my 2 trips to Uganda this has been second church from a poverty area or village to do so ……. I am blessed to serve here.

After a myriad or photos we headed to one of the large hotels for Sunday brunch for our “Farewell Dinner” for the team. It was a time of reflection and appreciation for those who had sacrificed their time to partner with me.

 
A Certificate of Appreciation for Pastors Geoffrey and Aaron

We decided not to go to the Cultural dancing as we had already missed 1½ hours of it and it gave me time to pack up some of the IRM supplies that will be stored Alfred’s house.

July 21 -
Breakfast served in the garden is going to be missed for sure and today the server and Julius were both there waiting for us. After they greeted us and left our food I happened to move my plate and under it was an envelope addressed to me from Julius with a letter inside that brought me to tears. Its contents are for me but it is very clear that this very sweet young man has not been treated very well. I am thankful that he now knows Jesus personally and for the times we were able to chat.

After breakfast Pastor Aaron took care of business for the van and Alfred went to get his hair cut while I did final packing.
Then it was past time for us to leave to take the supplies to Alfred’s house and then proceed to the airport for me, Alfred and Aaron are staying until tomorrow as Alfred’s plane leaves at 7:30am. But Alfred appeared in my room door saying, “Three people are coming that you need to share the Gospel with.”
A moment or two later the lady that cut his hair and another young man, both Muslims fasting for Ramadan, and another lady appeared. The time I spent with them was certainly ordained by God and as I started to lead them in the prayer of repentance my room maid appeared and also wanted to receive Christ’s free gift of salvation. 

What a special gift from the Lord that I was able to share His love again during my final hours in Uganda were able to give all 4 of the Bible sets and take a few photos.

Before leaving I asked the maid to send Julius to my room and when he appeared I had a few gifts for him and his wife and we prayed for him and his family. It was a wonderful time to thank him and tell him again what a good job he had done for the team. I am so thankful we will stay in touch.
Pastor Aaron returned and it was then time off to drop off the supplies at Alfred’s house, rented by Pastor Geoffrey, who surprised us with a delicious lunch he cooked before we headed off in the opposite direction through Kampala to Entebbe where the airport is. 

Because we over an hour early for check in we decided to stop for my last cup of African tea. There was a young man that worked there and we struck up a conversation with him and after having our team we went to the van to leave as the man came to say goodbye.
I could not help myself; I asked him if he knew Jesus loved him. And after a brief conversation, Praise Jesus, he allowed us to watch the Holy Spirit bring another one to salvation. 

YAHOO, YAHOO WHAT A WAY TO END THE TIME IN UGANDA!!!!!
YES, saying goodbye to Alfred and Aaron was difficult ………………………..
 But there was a young man at the entrance door to help me with my luggage and even after check in he stayed with me to the gate but the wait for the plane was longer than scheduled as the plane was 1 ½ hrs late but I met another woman Missionary so it helped pass the time. I was disappointed that the man next to me on the plane was not friendly and did not speak …… I was glad for a movie and I slept.

July 22 –
As I was setting in the WI-Fi area a woman came by and asked about the internet there. I had to admit my ignorance on the subject but we struck up a conversation and long story short she was a Christian but she dealing with Cancer and family issues that needed prayer. After I prayer for her she said how she needed prayer and our meeting was not a coincidence. Yep, she had that right.

The flight to Dulles seemed longer than usual but I was able to sleep some and I will try a stay awake on the travel leg to Portland so I will sleep tonight.
The wheelchair assistant who helped me through customs did an excellent job of helping me but as I waited the 5 hrs. for my flight to Portland I realized that the thief who stole my pack in Rwanda got my house key.

I said a simple prayer to Jesus that the friends who have taken care of my place and have my outside hidden key are not gone somewhere and are home tonight when Fran takes me home from the airport. With my phone stolen I did not have their number or a way to contact them. It will be interesting to see how God answers that prayer!!!!!!!
As I waited I was able to find 3 seats with no armrests so I was able to lay flat and on my right side and get the pressure off of my low back AND there was an outlet so I could charge my notebook. I had hoped to get this posted but internet in the airport is expensive and as I found out in the airplane even more so.
I am sorry but this post will be posted upon my return home.

That none would be lost,

Arlene
for the team

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the update and you are home safely. Thankful for your work for the Lord and it's touched many lives this side of heaven. See soon!

    ReplyDelete