Tuesday, July 1, 2014

July 1 - Another visit to the police station

Ministry Partners,

Thank you to all of you who are faithfully praying for me and the situation I find myself in. One thing for sure,  we have never felt more of God's favor than we do now. Difficult as this is I am seeing God's care and provision moment by moment.

When Alfred checked the Embassy website this morning at a bit past midnight, the calendar for the whole month of July only had a few open spaces for appointments but God provided one tomorrow at 8 am , first thing in the morning. 

Today when we arrived at police station early for our 9 o'clock appointment there were already people everywhere. We waited for some time with Alfred calling, a number of times, the woman officer who took our report yesterday and her responding, "I'm coming." 

We listened to the loud voices coming from a building where inmates are held for 3 days before being sent to the big prison. If you get arrested here you hope the investigation they do will find you innocent OR you are off to the big prison until you have a trial. It's my understanding that if your family does not provide food & ect. while you are here those 3 days, well you could get mighty hungry.

After quite some time we were getting nowhere so Alfred said perhaps we should "storm the main office building, which we did, finding rooms and halls already filled with people. We found our way into an office on the top floor and made our way inside as we passed people in the halls.


The young man seated at the desk was reading his Bible but greeted us warmly. It was 10 before the young man told Alfred to "go" make copies, from his original, of the report form they needed and  a copy of the copy I had of my passport.  Alfred returned with the copies which the man had me fill out and then he took one of the new  passport photo prints I had done yesterday and attached it to the top of the form. He said the official who needed to sign the paperwork had not arrived as yet.

And we waited, and we waited, finally the young man picked up our paperwork and left the office returning some time later. Once at his desk he pulled out a stamp and ink pad stamping across my photo and at the bottom of the paperwork where there was now a signature. It was clear that he had not waited for the official to get to his office, he had gone and found him to get it signed. Alfred says we could have very easily waited all day at the station and left empty handed.

Because it is a holiday here we were unable to go to a Rwanda Air office and get our ticket changed so we had to go to the airport.  As we were walking up to the entrance........ there was Athanase in his black suit and tie. He was a man who drove for me years ago but could not speak English. On Sundays as he drove me to Kayonza to speak at a church there he always wanted me to help him with English so our drive went quickly with English to use on the phone, "Hello, my name is Athanase, how can I help you?". He wanted to have his own cab and drive at the airport but to do that he had to speak English or French along with his Kinyarwanda.

He gave me a huge hug and informed the other taxi drivers that I was not his friend I was his Mom and how I had helped him learn English by teaching him myself and giving him money for English lessons. I just had to tell him how good and clear his English was as we made time  for a quick visit. It was a special gift from the Lord as I have not seen him since 2006. He gave me a copy of his very professional business card so I can contact him next year if the Lord brings me back.

It took us quite some time at the RwandAir office as people here don't have the "get in line and wait your turn" that our culture has. It was funny as at one point a Rwandan man said in English, "Huh, these people don't know how to get in line.", his comment made me smile. At one point as Alfred was standing at the window and had been for some time a woman came up and literately pushed him out of the way to get to the window.  Finally, Alfred took my hand and said come as he led me behind the counter to a chair between the two women who were booking and changing flights. That did the trick and after paying $33 each we have a ticket for 9am on Thursday.

This is a HUGE step of faith for us so please be praying as tomorrow is the final hurdle.I must have the emergency documents from the Embassy to be able to travel without a passport.

We are all currently at the Guest House but Alfred and Philbert will head out shortly to go back into town to work with the undercover police and the street youth.

We are so thankful for your faithful prayers,we are walking in His favor and grace.

That none would be lost,

Arlene


1 comment:

  1. Arlene, so sorry you had your bag stolen with your passport...God will surely turn this loss into HIS GAIN!
    Praying for you! Robin O.

    ReplyDelete