Sunday, July 13, 2014

July 13 - WHAT A DAY ...... A day to worship

Ministry Partners.

Breakfast was early and after getting ready the team waited for Pastor Aaron to arrive from the "washing bay" which if all hods true was the nearest ditch filled with muddy water. When I first heard the words "washing bay" I had a concept in my head that was quite different from what I was actually shown. But I must say the cars, pickups and motorcycles come out sparkling!!!

Sunday, a day to worship and give God praise as we served in a village church that Pastor Geoffrey took the team to. The church is located in a slum of Kampala and used to be the one he pastor-ed before moving to a more rural area and it is now pastor-ed by his spiritual son, Pastor Innocent who is newly married.

We picked up Pastor Geoffrey to show us the way through the very narrow streets of the slum to the church.


Pastor Geoffrey knows the area well as he grew up there. Pastor Innocent is also Founder and Director of "Save Street Children Uganda". He has a heart to do what he can for the children in the streets (slum) as he was also one of them but rescued through the work of Pastor Geoffrey.

We arrived at a fairly large complex for the area and were taken to the office to meet Pastor Innocent although we could already hear adults and children worshiping in the church. The respect and love between these two pastors was evident as soon as they saw each other. After a time of greetings and introductions we went to the church where worship was in full swing. Although I did not understand the words my heart agreed with them in such a precious time.

Only later did I find out that the older gentleman seated on the front row next to me was a pastor from Kenya who was actually scheduled to preach but his time was given to me.

Pastor Geoffrey told the congregation a bit of what he had been doing with us and the prison ministry of Mama (me) and IRM. He then introduced Alfred who introduced me.

After sharing the Gospel part of my message I spoke about being a child of the King and that makes us a Prince or Princess and used one of the men converts to help in my object lesson using a paper crown (donated by Burger King) which I gave to him when I finished that teaching. I finished preaching with a lesson on Forgiveness and was aided by both Alfred and Pastor Aaron who is a dynamic translator and left the stage as Pastors Geoffrey and Innocent both took the platform and spoke for a few minutes.

What happened next only the Holy Spirit could orchestrate. A man came forward that Pastor Innocent identified as his brother and reported that the man, Peter, wanted me to pray with him as he wanted to receive God's free gift or salvation, which I had the privileged of doing then the man I had given the crown to came running up to us and put the crown on Peter's head. 
 Peter, a new child of the King, Arlene & Pastor Geoffrey

Then Peter wanted me to pray for him, I did and as I finished  and looked up at him the tears were running down both of his cheeks and at this point the congregation was weeping. Then another man came up to testify that the message I preached was just for him! Followed by another man who came up and testified how another pastor had done him wrong but how he had just forgiven him and he made the commitment to the church to go visit that pastor.

Pastor Innocent then said some very nice things about Mama (me) and the quality of my preaching ..... thank you Holy Spirit for each word of the message and object lessons you gave me.

Then as Pastor Innocent spoke to the congregation asking them if they had been blessed my the preaching they needed to respond. I wasn't sure exactly what they were saying as Alfred, sitting next to me, was not translating. We had already taken the offering so as I watched the congregation, one by one, go forward and put money on the pulpit I leaned over and asked Alfred what they were doing. Tears welled up in my eyes when he responded, "Their taking an offering to help you and IRM with the ministry your doing." Even as I write this  ..... tears are in my eyes. People in the slum of Uganda, those who have nothing, are giving to me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I asked for the mic again and told the congregation that in 11 trips the Rwanda and 2 to Uganda no congregation had ever done such a thing and that I was humbled by their respect, love and support. Then Pastor Innocent gave me an envelope with some shillings inside and said they had another gift for me as he presented me with a most beautiful large Ugandan purse made of tiny pieces of wood.

Hugs and photos followed before the team was ushered back into the pastors office for sodas. It was there the elderly (76yr.) gentleman, Bishop Issac, said he was to go home to Kenya yesterday and although he had stayed to do the preaching today ..... now he knew God had him stay because today's message was just for him!

On the way home we did stop to buy another pineapple and a loaf of bread but the team didn't have a lot to say as the working of the Holy Spirit today has impacted all of us.

I really do not have words to express how I feel and never will as I retell this amazing day. But what I can say is:
Father I give you praise, Jesus I give you
praise, Holy Spirit I give you praise.

That none would be lost,

Arlene
for the team

No comments:

Post a Comment