Thursday, June 7, 2012

June 6........


Ministry Partners, 
 
June 6 --- It’s hard to believe that our first day of prison ministry is here.
Alfred arrived at 8 so we were able to have breakfast together. The special omelet that he had was huge. He tried to convince me that it had bread in it until I reached over with my fork and took a bite. It was in fact potato like I suspected.

Pastor Augustine, a pastor I met a number of years ago, arrived. It was so good to see him again. Vicky asked me to introduce him to Pastor Peter. We spent some time praying about the day and then loaded the van with Bibles and water.

When Philbert arrived with the van, he had gotten the seats recovered and they looked ever so nice. He still has to get a couple of them installed tomorrow. 

We left at 10 and picked up Pastor Peter and Bishop Alexis on the way to Nsinda Prison. It was such a beautiful drive and although so much of the landscape was familiar there were many improvements with freshly painted buildings and areas planted with shrubs and other decorative plants.
We arrived at the prison about 11 and the security guards held us at the gate for some time. 
What a great opportunity to get out of the van and greet some of the ladies that were standing nearby. It appears that today is visiting day for the prisoners. I am so glad that I put a package of scarves and tracts in my backpack. Handing them the scarves brought such smiles to their faces, especially one very old woman.

The large truck that pulled up behind our van kept tooting its horn but we had no other option but to wait for the very slowly walking senior guard that was walking up the road in our direction. He checked over our paperwork very carefully and then the gates were opened for us to enter.
Some prisoners were very busy in the “brick” area but the improvements to the grounds from the first time I was here are really something.  Brick flower beds and greenery make the appearance far more appealing.

When I got out of the van a group of women prisoners recognized me immediately and we began waving to each other. I had Pastor Augustine ask the guard if I could greet the women and he said yes. The women surrounded me and were chattering and laughing as they vigorously hugged me. I realized later that it was something I should not have done as I got chastised later by the warden.

We were finally ushered into the warden’s office and at fist he seemed quite authoritative and stern. After he came from behind his desk over to the seating area Alfred began to joke with him and “hi 5” him to which he softened up and began smiling and laughing. Although he appreciated the gifts I brought him, a Bible and Discipleship Booklet, IRM t-shirt and 2 lovely men’s ties, he made it clear that I had done the wrong thing in greeting the women prisoners first before I greeted him. Hummmm…….a lesson well learned. I will not make that mistake again at any prison.

This slender small built but very stern warden told us that although he had been a warden for 13 years, he had only been a warden at Nsinda for 3 days. Alfred had me tell him about IRM and my heart for the prisoners and how God called me to take the Gospel into the prisons. Then he started questioning me about my personal testimony to which I told him he would need to come to the crusade to hear all of it but he continued to press me with “small” direct questions until finally I told him I would be glad to share it with him. Little did I know that he would come to most of the crusade to hear me again.      

We had entered the warden’s office at about 11:30 and it was now 2:00pm. before he acknowledged that we could proceed inside the prison for the crusade. And although he allowed us to take a photo with him and the Deputy Warden, who had also sat through our meeting, he made it very clear that even though the Commissioner General had told us the kind of photos we could take, the documents he signed did not state so specifically therefore, he could not allow them to be taken.

We also gave the Deputy Warden a Bible/Booklet set before leaving.

Entering the actual prison seemed so familiar and yet they had made improvements. The large meeting area had a cement floor and metal structure beams to hold a covering which was not yet finished.

I greeted the prison pastors while Pastor Augustine took my cordless headset to get it hooked to sound. Quickly he returned saying the he had plugged it in without the adapter and had fried the plug/cord. I was thankful that the prison had one we could use. I like the cordless so I do not have to hold a mike, I can just hold my Bible as I walk and preach.

It was wonderful to hear the singing as we waited for them to bring the women in. They started entering right in front of the platform so I quickly went down to the walkway and greeted each woman. I had to keep the line moving forward as each one tried to stop and African greet me. Knowing what I knew……this was so important for me.

After that singing Alfred led them in worship and praise. He does such a wonderful job of getting all the prisoners involved, not leaving it to a performance by the choirs. Then it was time for introductions for the IRM “team” that was there. 

Alfred introduced me and I in turn introduced Bishop Alexis, Pastor Augustine, Pastor Peter Deyali and Pastor Jerome, followed by my introduction of Alfred. Prisoners always laugh out loud when I introduce him as my adopted son and then ask them “But don’t we look alike?”, patting his very dark cheek and my very white cheek. This time I also had Pastor Jerome standing with Alfred and I told the prisoners that he was my Spiritual son and he would share with them how that came about.

Pastor Jerome gave a wonderful testimony about being a prisoner 3 times, for forgery of government documents, at the 1930 Central Prison, attending a crusade I did there and then the following year he took the Spiritual Leaders Training that IRM offered. That’s when he met Pastor Peter Ndikumana from the Foursquare Church here that was on our team and one of the follow-up pastors. When he was released he started his studies to become a licensed Foursquare pastor. His church is the one I preached at last Sunday.

Sometime we/others wonder exactly what kind of impact we are having in the prisons. Pastor Jerome’s testimony is just one story and a wonderful one that causes us to offer thankgiving and praise to our Lord for the opportunities He is allowing IRM to be a part of.   

Then it was time for me to preach and give an invitation as Alfred sang a “soft” song of invitation followed by Pastor Peter leading them in a prayer to receive God’s free gift of salvation. It’s such a powerful site to watch the Holy Spirit work in the hearts of these prisoners. Pastor Peter then spoke words of encouragement to the Christian prisoners for a few minutes.

I told the prisoners that because of the expanding work IRM is doing all over Rwanda I might not see them again but I was not abandoning them as there were now trained pastors that would continue their work with them and that Pastor Jerome would be their follow-up Pastor.
I told them to remember that I loved them and I would continue to pray for them, it was then I could not contain the tears that rolled down my cheeks.

The warden who had been sitting there stood and addressed the inmates and said some VERY kind words about me and the IRM ministry as a whole.

The choir sang another song before it was time for us to leave. As I walked past the women I touched as many as I could. I never dreamed saying goodbye would be soooooo hard.
Once outside we said our goodbye’s to the warden and thanked him for welcoming us as the Bibles were unloaded.

Before leaving the Kayonza area we stopped by the home of Katilda, the friend I met years ago that has a shattered arm. I wanted to check on her and leave her a few supplies. 

When I entered the clearing at the house, there she was, my 78 yr. old friend, sitting outside on a mat. I quickly went to her and got down on the mat and put my arms around her. She tried to turn around to face me better but was unable to and fell over in her struggle. A neighbor came and helped her get turned around and seated upright as Katilda explained that she is now pretty much paralyzed.

I put my arms around her again and we held hands, while at times I just cupped her cheek in my other hand. I introduce her to the Pastors while she told them how I cried when I first met her. She told me that since she had not seen me in such a long time (last year) that she had been worried about me and my health. Oh my goodness, my precious friend was worried about me!!!!!!

It was getting dark and I knew it was time to go so the pastors gathered around us, laid hands on her and we prayed for her. I had been able to keep the tears at bay while I sat with her but as I left the clearing they fell unbridled down my cheeks.

The van was pretty much silent on the way back to Kigali. The sight and condition of my dear friend had impacted us all. 

After returning to Moucecore Alfred and I had dinner and discussed preparations for the team’s arrival on Friday evening.

I have not been sleeping well but I will go to bed at 9 tonight.

Appreciate your  continued prayers,
Arlene

3 comments:

  1. It's so great to hear from you. I could hear your voice as I read this. Thank you so much for the wonderful, detailed update. You made me feel like (and wish) I was there.

    Angie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Arlene..... I would of cried with you! What a ministry the Lord has opened up for you there. The American team is on their way. They are in the air to Amsterdam as I type. Sending hugs and prayers for tremendous grace and wisdom as you reach out and minister to those there in Rwanda.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good reports and glad you are doing good. Sleep well my friend. You are in my prayers. Love ya!

    ReplyDelete