Friday, June 8, 2012

June 7.....Rilima Prison

Ministry Partners,


June 7 --- Rilima Prison will be our ministry area today.
Alfred arrived for another omelet breakfast but not a special like yesterday. 


It’s too bad that the Frinks, Foursquare missionaries here, were not able to go with us yesterday or today. But I have begun a friendship with them and I am looking forward to keeping in touch with them for next year. Pastor Augustine will not be able to go with us today either as he had an appointment this morning.


Pastor Jerome arrived and we loaded up the van with the Bibles and water we need. We were able to leave at 10 and we picked up Pastor Peter, Pastor Innocent (one of our Foursquare follow-up pastors from last year) and Pastor Alexis along the way. 


The hour drive to the prison is the same road that that will go to the new airport. You can see that improvements are going on everywhere and we passed a new huge new Hotel that is being built and the road side is lighted.


As we turned off the main road onto a rutted dirt road and as we were being jostled around Alfred stated “Now you are receiving an African massage.” It’s been a long time since I laughed so hard for so long. What a wonderful group of godly men the Savior has given me to serve along side.


The improvements to the prison are amazing; I can’t help but remember the first time I came here. The difference is wonderful.
We were ushered into the warden’s office and as the warden, a tall strikingly beautiful woman, approached me I extended my hand but she gave me a huge hug as she said, “Don’t you remember me?” The warden was in fact the warden at the 1930 Prison when I visited there a few years ago. We had immediately found favor!!!
She told us that she had the photo of us hanging in her office until last week and she had asked herself, “I wonder if I will ever see that lady again?” She is a Christian and so very supportive of the work we are doing.


She, of course, knew Pastor Jerome and she knew Pastor Alexis. She served us coffee and fruit juice and we had a wonderful visit until about 1:30. Again she would not allow photos but she did allow me to have another one taken of us.


They have a sewing program there and after she told us of a “need” for the woman I told her I would be glad to develop a pattern and email it to her so the women could start making them.


We could hear the prisoners singing before we ever entered the prison and inside the prison walls was different than I had ever seen it. There was a tent for me to speak from and a large empty area in front with prisoners seated and standing in a “U” shape.


The choir was singing and I am again reminded again that there is just nothing like listening to their powerful voices singing. I always hope that the electricity will go out so that the keyboard and guitars will NOT overpower their beautiful voices like they sometimes do.
It was wonderful to see the familiar faces of the Spiritual Leaders and to greet them.


When the Choir was finished singing Alfred led the prisoners in praise and worship while Pastor Jerome danced with them in the center open area. Alfred is struggling with some sinus issues and in the sunshine and heat at one point he handed the mike to Jerome to lead then in a song before he finished with the final one.


Introductions of the team followed before I addressed the Spiritual Leaders.


I preached and gave an invitation making it very clear with my question, “How many times did Jesus dye on the cross?……1time, followed by “And how many time does a person receive God’s free gift of salvation…..1 time.” 


Alfred softly sang a song of invitation while Pastor Peter encouraged the prisoners to make a good choice for themselves like I had talked about in my message. Pastor Innocent and Pastor Alexis stood with Pastor Peter while Pastor Jerome and I went between the prisoners who had come forward and the other prisoners encouraging them from time to time with a wave of our hand to come forward. 


Pastor Peter led those who had come forward in prayer and then for a few moments he spoke a word of encouragement to them.
The prisoners who had responded to the invitation then began to sing, dance and give God praise. There are not words to accurately express what the Holy Spirit was doing in all of this. A person just had to be there!!!!!


The Lord gave me a very special gift as the sound system lost power and I could observe and hear them worship……it was a wonderful gift.


I then told them about the expansion of IRM and that I may not return but I was leaving then in the good and capable hands of the Spiritual Leaders. I told them that if I did not see them there in the prison or outside I would see those who knew Jesus as their Savior in heaven. I told them that I had already asked God that when I died could I stand with the other Rwandan people in heaven to praise and worship him. Their response told me they agreed to my request. I was crying and some of the prisoners were also crying. They sang another song of worship led by the head Security guard, who is born again while I shook the hands of each of the Spiritual Leaders.


While we were packing up a young prisoner came and said my talk had touched him and he wanted to give me a gift. He reached under his shirt and pulled out a small wooden framed picture that he had drawn……it will be a treasured picture on my wall at home.
The Rwandans are big on relationships and these prisoners have captured my heart. I never would have ever imagined the love God has given me for them and all Rwandans.


We were ushered back into the warden office and she inquired how this had gone. She was so happy to hear of the salvation decisions and asked me if I could return tomorrow for another crusade. Oh my goodness, what favor we had found with her. Her invitation came although we had no government approval to do so!!!!!


I was disappointed to have to tell her that I had other commitments but she understood when I showed her a copy of our itinerary.
As we left the prisons I fixed everyone the “traditional” PB&J or Honey sandwich and after eating the guys started singing worship songs. The strong and powerful voices of those 5 men filled the van all the way to Kigali, such a wonderful sound. 


Alfred and I ate dinner together before he left for home about 9, we will have a very busy day with final preparations for the team tomorrow.


This wonderful day was another one designed by God’s own hand. Thank you God for allowing us to watch you work. I give you praise.


Thank you for your continued prayers,
Arlene

1 comment:

  1. Wow Arlene! Total chills as I read your story! Praise God!! He is opening doors for you, and your team! You are making a a HUGE difference for eternity!!! Many blessings to you! Praying for you today! Sending much love to you!

    ReplyDelete