Sunday, June 17, 2012

June 16 ......

June 16 --- It was a difficult night last night as I was sneezing and my throat was so very sore. I took some cold medicine and went to bed early that our room was so very hot. 

Everyone was up early for our 6:30 breakfast and as the plan was to leave by 7:30 but it seemed inevitable that once again we got a later start by time the van was loaded.
We will be going back through this deep windy mountain pass through the forest heading towards Butari but making a stop at Gikongoro Prison. The road is under construction and what there is of road, if you can call it that, is in really poor shape or should I say terrible shape with ruts and potholes to be dodged. 

Kathy and Shelley rode in the front as they easily get car sick. Alfred, Blessing and I rode in the second seat while Pastor Peter and Pastor Jerome will rode in the third seat. Most of the fourth seat was taken up with luggage as was the back of the van and Pastor Al was gracious and sat in that row with the luggage. It was a bit cramped but we made it. The bald tires on the front of the van make us wonder about going over roads in this condition but Philbert is such a safe driver and takes such very good care of us. It was an adventure for sure.
Shelley and Kathy were busy watching for wild monkeys but I actually spotted the first one. The ones we have seen so far are black with white faces.
The powerful and strong voices of the nationals with us fill the van with songs of praise and worship. After a few songs Pastor Peter pulled out a hymnal and it appeared like they were going to sing from it..... cover to cover. I was enjoying every minute of it as they were singing and laughing.

I'm glad we will not be traveling over this curvy winding, rutty road again.

Not far from the prison we had Philbert stop the van and the guys all took a short walk along the road as we girls changed from our riding slacks into our skirts. It is so very interesting here, whenever a motor stops people appear from everywhere. Over and around bushes and shrubs……privacy...... I don't think so. We were next to a high embankment on my side of the van so I kept a watch out.
As we entered the prison we were told by the guard that the warden had just left and we were asked to park in the designated area and wait until the woman guard in charge of Social Affairs arrived. 

In the meantime Kathy and Shelley made everyone our traditional peanut butter and jelly or honey sandwiches but before we had time to finish them the Social Affairs officer arrived and told us that the warden was now in his office. I'm not quite sure which direction he had arrived from because he did not pass the parking area where we were.

We were ushered into the warden's office only to find a very tall thin man dressed in casual clothes. Alfred had me tell him about my heart for the prisoners, about IRM and about the ministry that IRM has been doing throughout the country of Rwanda.

It's interesting how these wardens can be as different as day is from night. This Warden did not identify himself as a Christian and proceeded to tell me that the prisoners have other needs besides the 450 Bibles and Discipleship Booklets we have brought. I explained to him that although International Reconciliation Ministries sounds like a large organization it really is one woman with a heart to serve God and others along with American and Rwandan volunteers who also have a heart to serve God and others.

I asked him if I could have a photo taken with him and he agreed but as soon as the photo was taken he appeared to just disappear from sight leaving us with the Social Affairs officer.

It was finally time to enter the prison, oh my goodness, there are so many men crowded in here and the area is so small, there is not room for them all to sit and many are standing around the edges. There is a small area just left of where I will be speaking that has been saved for the women prisoners that they will be bringing in.

As we are waiting for them Pastor Peter asked the Spiritual Leaders to identify themselves…….only three do so. The Social Affairs officer says there are 3600 prisoners here and that there are about 3000 within this enclosure with us.

It appears they do not get many visitors, we were actually told NONE, as they are looking at us with questioning eyes and faces. The women arrive and are seated as one of the prisoners leads worship. I excused myself and went to where the women were seated and greeted as many of them as I could reach before returning to my seat. Then, Alfred led them in a worship song before asking me to make introductions of the team.

I ended introductions with Alfred as my adopted son, packing his cheek and mine, and saying "but don't we look like", which always brings a howl of laughter from the prisoners followed by introducing Pastor Jerome as my Spiritual son and having him share his testimony. Is been a powerful thing to have Jerome with us and his identification with them is evident on their faces as he speaks.

Then I shared my message on "Fear" followed by my testimony and our Ephesians 2:8, 9 “Gift Bag" skit. It was so very clear that the Holy Spirit had prepared their hearts as almost everyone present prayed to receive God's free gift of salvation. 

Then I felt the Holy Spirit leading me to share about what God taught me about forgiving  myself and when I told them that they had made 1 good choice today and now they could make another good choice. God had forgiven them and now he wanted them to forgive themselves but before I asked them to respond many started raising their hands. The power of the Holy Spirit was so evident and I do not have the words to express here.

When I did give the invitation to respond, again, almost every inmate responded.
As we were leaving a prisoner identified himself by speaking English and saying he recognized Jerome from the 1930 prison. He said he knew Jerome before Jerome was a Christian and after hearing him today tell about what God has done in his life he made the decision to become a Christian and was making the decision/commitment to not take revenge on the person who accused him. Like I said, Jerome's testimony is so powerful with these inmates.

As we were preparing to walk towards where the van was parked the women prisoners were being taken back to their holding area. Kathy, Shelley and I greeted as many as we could as they filed by.

Philbert had been busy while we were inside holding the crusade as he had taken our luggage to the guest house in Butari, picked up 450 Bibles and Discipleship booklets, brought them and unloaded them at the prison.

I am thankful that we are only about 30 min. from our guest house it will be good to have a shower, wash my hair and rest tonight.

Alfred got all of us settled in our rooms and then he had a short meeting with Pastor Peter, Pastor Jerome and myself. It was time for everyone to retire to their own rooms and rest until our 6:00 dinner time.

Alfred and I ordered a buffet dinner for everyone feeling it would be simpler as everyone could choose what they wanted to eat, Beef, Fish, Chips, Matoki, Peas & Carrots, rice and red sauce.
Everyone was tired so we all headed to our rooms after dinner. It will be sad to see Blessing leave to go back to Uganda tomorrow.

Your prayers are so evident here, Thanks,
Arlene

1 comment:

  1. So great to hear from you!!! The Lord goes before you and I rejoice.... Sending hugs to you all and prayers before the throne room of grace.....Love, Terry

    ReplyDelete