Sunday, June 17, 2012

June 15......

Sorry these postings are late but we have not had internet service.
 
June 15 --- Today has been there interesting day. As we made our way to the dining out for breakfast we passed by Philbert and his newly washed van. He has been a wonderful addition to the team and is such a safe driver. He also is so gracious to help us any time we need our “stuff” loaded or unloaded from the van even though that’s not part of his job as a driver. I could not help but smile when he asked if he could have an IRM badge with his name on it, of course I was glad to give him one.
After a breakfast of Tea, Coffee, bread/toast, hard boiled eggs and a variety of fruits it was time to load the van with our supplies and some of the Bible sets.
 After checking with the Deputy Warden at Changugu prison yesterday, today was our first day of ministry. We had been told yesterday that we would have the Crusades today. Because there was no common meeting area where I could speak to the entire group the prisoners it was suggested that I do one crusade for women and youth and 2 crusades for the two different men's section of the prison.
Philbert made a number of trips back to the Guest house to load Bibles and deliver then to the prison to be stored until we need them.
I was relieved due to the time constraints that I would be doing just two crusades today, men & women and men & youth. The Deputy Warden entered with us to the first Crusade but only stayed until after the worship time and his introduction of me and the team.
The first crusade was in a long somewhat narrow area surrounded be walls of window openings on one side. Prisoners peering through “window” openings in the wall made us very aware that bunks meant many prisoners would listen from their living space.
There is just nothing like listening to these prisoners sing. Their loud powerful voices give no evidence of the life they live behind these walls. I was so pleased to be able to listen to them while we waited for the women prisoners to arrive. When they were seated I asked the Deputy Warden if I could go greet them as the sound “guys” were still trying to get the microphones adjusted. I was sure not to do that before getting permission.
The women were hesitant at first but then began to smile and extend their hands to greet me. It was interesting to watch the men prisoners commenting to each other as they intently watched me greet each woman.
Finally the sound system was ready and worship began with one young prisoner leading them then Alfred took over and led a couple of songs.
The Deputy Warden introduced me and made comments about the ministry I have been doing in Rwanda and the prisons. I then introduced the team ending with introducing Alfred, my adopted son, and Pastor Jerome, my spiritual son.
Pastor Jerome is such a special man with a powerful testimony. He identified another prisoner who was actually a prisoner at the 1930 Central Prison at the same time he was there. The other prisoners laughed when Jerome announced how he and the other inmate knew each other.
Then he shared how he accepted God’s free gift of salvation at one of the crusades I did at the 1930 Prison, he then took the Spiritual Leaders training the next year, was released, studied to become a pastor himself and is now pasturing a Foursquare church.
The Deputy Warden left us as he said he had other duties to attend to.
I wish I had the words to express what the faces look like, how intently they listen to each word the Holy Spirit gives me to share. Pastor Shelly later said, “It is amazing to me how you can walk in among them and because of your age, they view you with such respect. Their eyes are always on you, never looking at the rest of us, looking at Alfred as he interprets then back to you."
Once again, being 68 is a good thing!!!
Because I was only preaching at 2 crusades today instead of 3 it is a confirmation that after I give the invitation I should also talk to them about forgiving themselves and lead them in a prayer to do so.
All the responses show that God has gone before us and the Holy Spirit has prepared their hearts. 

Thank you for your continued prayers,
Arlene

No comments:

Post a Comment