Tuesday, June 19, 2012

June 18 ......



June 18 --- I woke up early today but I had a good night’s rest, all the other team members reported the same.
The guest house where we are staying in is a bed and breakfast so breakfasts are by their design.  Today was omelets (the kind of your choosing) hot cereal, cornflakes, bread, fruit and juice. We have had a lot of fun discussing the omelet’s  here, some are all white (we have dubbed them Muzungu omelets) as if the yokes have been removed and others have the “yellow” look we are used to (dubbed Rwandan omelets).
Kathy had the morning devotion today then we sat outside the dining hall in a grassy area under a large umbrella for an encouragement time of team building. It was 2 hours designed by God for sure.
Everyone went back to their rooms to get prepared for the day but then went to another quiet area to sit under a tree and have our traditional lunch.
Alfred brought a VERY special gift for me from him, Blessing and the children. A framed picture with thoughts of what I have meant to them and the verse Eph. 1:16 printed on the bottom. It will be a treasured gift on my living room wall.
At 1o'clock it was time to leave for the TIG camp and on the way we picked up the Director of Prisons and TIG camps for this region. He is a tall, pleasant looking man that speaks with authority and can be very stern.
He informed us that the prisoners has repaired some of the ruts and “gullies” in the uphill miles of dirt road in anticipation of our visit today. We passed some of them, carrying their hoes and picks, returning to the camp as the Director shouted out the window to them to hurry their walking up the hill back to the camp, one old prisoner who had lagged behind one group began to jog.
We arrived at the camp and quickly set up in an area chosen by the Director. It meant we would be in the sun so I was glad I had brought my sunscreen and that we had our umbrellas. Kathy’s umbrella did not open correctly but over opened if there is such a word and amidst the giggles she was trying to hold back the Director quickly helped get it opened correctly.  
We were ready to start at 2 o’clock the time usually scheduled for the prisoners to eat but after the long day they have put in I felt bad and would like to have waited for them to have their dinner first but I followed the Directors wishes.
I greeted some of the women I had met yesterday and they smiled broadly.
I introduced myself and the team in the usual way and had Pastor Jerome share his testimony and then I preached the message on “Fear”. The Director “tracked” what I was saying and watched me closely. He had told us he was a Christian and attended a Pentecostal church.
The hardened faces of the 290 present are evidence of the hard labor work these prisoners have been doing.….some will need to complete up to 25 years service if they choose to live in the village and just report for work but that time will be cut in half if they actually live at the camp.
I felt someone standing behind me holding an umbrella to shield me from the hot sun…..it was Pastor Jerome. He has such a servant’s heart.
Again the work of the Holy Spirit was evident as I gave the 1st invitation and every prisoner responded as well as one villager who had also appeared on the fringe of the area where we were. Pastor Peter led them in the prayer of response and followed by a word of encouragement.
Then I spoke to them about forgiving the ones who justly or unjustly accused them as well as forgiving themselves for the poor choices they have made for themselves. I then led the 290 who responded in a “prayer of forgiveness”.
I cannot express in words how my heart praises God when I hear their strong voices praying, asking God for forgiveness and/or praying the prayer of forgiveness and its difficult holding back tears of appreciation to the Savior for being able to be a small part of what He is doing.
As we were distributing the Bible sets the Director gave permission, originally refused, for us to take photos and pictures of the celebration that was going on.
I will not go into the very kind works the Director spoke to the inmates concerning us and then addressed to us in closing our time there. The Director and I chatted so, with Alfred’s help translating, as he rode back down the hill with us. He said he was committed to help us in any way he could.
By the time we drove away from the camp it was 4:30 and the scene we observed was prisoners with their plate of food scattered over the landscape but many NOT eating, rather reading the precious Bible they now held in their hands. How do I ever convey that amazing picture……I can’t!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 
On the way down the mountain we passed a number of villages and at one village there were villagers playing soccer in a field alongside the road. Just as we started by their ball went under the van and proceeded to get stuck. It took a few moments until Philbert could rock the van and get it dislodged all to the shouts and arm waving from the young men.
We dropped off the Director and proceeded back to Butari to pick up Sylvia who has arrived from Kigali to translate for the women’s team for the next few days.
It was time for dinner soup, it’s different every night and OH SO VERY  GOOD, goat meat on a stick, pork chops, potatoes, rice (for pudding for Alfred and I) gr. beans with carrots, squash & pinto beans, different red sauce, pineapple and papaya.
Each team met to go over our agendas for tomorrow and then Sylvia and I spent some time in my room just getting to know each other and getting her familiar with IRM.
Finally, a shower and to bed at 10.
We know many of you are praying, thank you.
Arlene

3 comments:

  1. What great stories! Thank you for sharing in such detail. Any word on photo permissions? Email me if you can, otherwise I will keep checking here as often as I can. :) God bless!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The answer has been no except for a few of Bible Distribution at 1 camp. At this point as soon as I get home I will go over the ones I sent you and choose the oldest ones for you to use anyway. Please send me a regular email as a reminder.

      Delete
  2. HUGS and PRAYERS for all of you. I love reading your blog and hear all that the Lord is doing in that part of the world. His grace, Terry

    ReplyDelete