Thursday, June 19, 2014

June 19.

Ministry Partners,

Sorry I have missed posting for the last two days but they have been days far to long and Tues. night I was only able to sleep two hours. Yesterday for the first time ever I took a far back seat in the van as we made the 2 hr. 45 min drive to the Youth Prison I was able to rest before holding a crusade there but we did not arrive back in Kigali until after 9 pm. It rained hard and I mean hard, it reminded me of a snow white out in Oregon. I am so happy we have such a good driver that keeps us so safe. Not enough time to catch you up for the last two days but must tell you about one story from yesterday.

On the way home from the youth prison we (7 of us) stopped at Alfred's sisters home just to say hi and bless her and her husband's home. She served us some delicious food we did not expect and soda's. Before leaving we were praying and at one point the husband said he was convicted of his sinful life and he wanted to receive salvation and become a Christian.

What a special gift the Lord gave us as we listened to him pray the "sinner's prayer".
Goodness, do I have lots of stories to tell when I return.

After not getting any good sleep the last couple of nights it finally caught up with me last night and I slept well until 6:20 this morning.
We had breakfast and devotions at 7:30 and the van arrived along with, Prisca (the woman who would translate for the Woman's Conference today), Pastor's Zebedee and Pascal (our Partner Foursquare Pastors), joined our team to go to what was formerly called Gitarama Prison. On the way we picked up Jane from Rwanda Correction Services.
The ride to the prison was less than an hour but as I saw the clouds I was reminded about what happened the only other time I was here in 2009 and began to pray for no rain.

When we first arrived the Deputy Warden graciously welcomed us while we could already hear the men singing inside and we waited while they brought the women into the common area that was only partially covered. 

We had been previously informed that this prison had caught fire in the men's section and although the common meeting area appeared the same as I had seen before the effects of the fire were oh so evident.

Alfred asked how many had seen me when I was there before and there were only a few.

They sang some worships songs to open our time and the I began to preach. Just before I was going to give the invitation the downpour began and since the outskirts of the area were not covered and the rain on the tin roof make the noise so loud I stopped as those on the outskirts ran for cover.

Alfred started praying and then began singing which the remaining prisoners picked right up on. Since where the women were seated was covered they all stayed as well as over half of the men. I just couldn't help myself, I left where I was standing and went to their area and began to greet them followed by getting within their group while we sang and danced...........you just had to be there as there was space where I had originally been standing for a few women and men to African dance as we all praised and worshiped God............ for well over 30 minutes until the rain stopped and I could continue.

I finished my message leading up to the invitation and Pastor Zebedee led them in the pray. I followed with the object lesson the Holy Spirit gave me on them now being a child of the King which made them a Prince or Princess. It's hard to explain what an impact that lesson has had everywhere here.....I will have to do it for some of you when I get home.

I finished with talking about forgiveness and led them in the powerful "Forgiveness Prayer" that the Holy Spirit gave me in 2005 on my first trip here.

Jane, Prisca and I then left with the women to go to their area for a brief 1 1/2 hr. women's conference while Alfred set up our battery operated sound system and then left to be with the men as Pastor's Zebedee and Pascal who had already began the teachings for the men's conference.

At 3pm Alfred appeared to tell us it was time to go but the women prisoners asked if we could stay longer and when they realized we could not they asked us to please come back and said that they loved us!

Before leaving the grounds Jane wanted us to see the pilot program they are doing with children of the incarcerated women. No longer do children stay with their mothers until they are 5, now they are only allowed to stay until they are 3 and then they must go live with other family.

What darling, precious, well behaved tiny children. They are doing a wonderful job with this program.

On the way home tonight we were stopped again by police and although they wanted to see what was in the back I handed them a tract as soon as I could and they never asked Philbert for his papers or our passports but one responded as he started reading the tract, "I hear you have been to the prison to tell them that Jesus loves them:, and as I smiled and we started to drive away he added, "I need to hear that too". Only in Africa....... how I love this country!!!!!

It felt strange to be back in Kigali by only 5:30 but very nice as Alfred and I were able to carve out time to go over ministry details. While events change moment by moment, and I am NOT exaggerating, it has kept us hopping so that :things" continue to run as smooth as we can make it.

Tomorrow we are to go to Rilima Prison which is no longer a prison for both men and women, now it is only for men.

I cannot thank you enough for your continuing prayer covering.
That none would be lost,

Arlene


No comments:

Post a Comment