Monday, July 8, 2013

July 7th



Ministry Partners,
Just Letting you know that I have arrived safely in Uganda at 11 pm on July 6th..



On the first two legs of the flight I had an empty seat next to me and I was able to get off of my hip and get some rest. On the last leg of the journey from Brussels to Entebbe I did not have an extra seat next to me so I could lie down but I had a very nice young man, named Marvin, who was a Christian and we had some very good conversation. He told me that he was returning home to Uganda after being in America for a year, namely North Dakota, getting his masters degree. Goodness, North Dakota of all places.

Before arriving in Entebbe the plane stopped in Rwanda, my, was it hard for me to not get off the plane! We were on the ground for about one hour as passengers de-boarded and boarded for the last 45 min. flight to Entebbe.

It's a good thing the flight was short as I was beginning to get a bit weary. When I de-boarded the plane, which was actually out on the tarmac, I saw wheelchairs and requested one as I had been told that I was going to need a visa and I had absolutely no idea how to go about getting one and tired as I was my comprehension was not so good. A ttall thin young Ugandan man pushed me straightaway into the airport and took me right up to the counter to get my passport stamped and apply for the visa. I have been told at the airport in Portland that this visa was going to be required but that I could pay for it with a credit card…….. no such luck as the man behind the counter requested cash. I was thankful I still had three $20 bills of my American money that I had tucked away to use in the airport if you need it, funds that I had not spent. I was sure he would give me back Schilling's which is the currency here in Uganda but in fact he handed me a $10 bill.

The young man pushed me straightaway to the luggage area and although we had to wait for quite some time, both pieces of my checked luggage came through. And although it was now almost midnight I couldn't help but exclaim "Praise Jesus", to which the young man just smiled and shook his head affirmatively.

As he pushed me out into the waiting area I saw lots of people but it was evident that Alfred and Blessing had been watching for me because they saw me and sent the children ahead with flowers wrapping their arms around me with lots of smiles and hugs. Oh goodness it was so good to see them and then I notice that they had also brought Pastor Aaron, whom I had met many years ago out at New Life Academy when I had been ministering there with Africa New Life Ministries.

It did my heart good to see all of them. It was a bit of a drive to the place where I will be staying as Alfred's new rental is only two bedrooms. By the time they got me settled and I unpacked a few things from my suitcases so I could have something to wear tomorrow that was not too wrinkled it was after 2 AM. But I set the iPhone for 7 AM as I need to be up when they bring my breakfast tea. The neighborhood dogs are barking and I know with my jetlag I really did not want to go to bed but putter around instead so I decided to take some Melatonin and put in my ear plugs. The bed was king size and the mattress was fairly comfortable.

July 7th The first thing I heard this morning was Alfred's voice as he banged on the door calling "Mom, Mom". With my ear plugs in it appears I had not heard the alarm and I had slept soundly as it was now time to be leaving for church and I was getting up. Pastor Aaron and Alfred said "That's fine, you have 15 min. to get ready" as they smiled and walked off to the car.

Now I am really glad I had laid out all my clothes and stuff for this morning, last night or should I say earlier this morning at 1:30 AM. I hurriedly got dressed and off we were to Pastor Herman’s church which again was a bit of a drive considering the roads and the amount of traffic even for a Sunday morning. Yikes, a lot of traffic.

I was a bit disappointed in myself as I had not been able to get up and go through my message and pray before going this morning to the church, especially since Alfred informed me last night that I was the one doing the preaching …….. why was I not really surprise.

Pastor Herman’s church is very small and they meet in a white tent and it really reminded me of a much much smaller version of the tent we used to use at New Life.

They were singing and worshiping when we arrived in so we sat a ways in the back as to not interrupt their worship but I was quite surprised to see some other "Muzungus” there. Finally Pastor Herman turned around and saw us and smiled broadly. I was to find out later that he actually is the very same age as Alfred. He is another very handsome young man with a broad smile and after just a few minutes of hearing him talk prior to taking the offering I knew that I liked him very much.

When I was asked to preach I preached the message on “Fear” and gave an invitation after Alfred and I had done the object lesson on "Receiving a Gift". Then I began to talk about the area of forgiveness and forgiving those who offend us or hurt us and when I gave the altar call to pray forgiveness over someone in your life four came forward and two would not come forward although they stood in the back. I was more than surprised when the gentleman from Canada was one of the first ones to come forward. I had them follow me and repeat a prayer similar to the one the Holy Spirit gave me 2006. Pastor Herman's wife, Ann, said that the man from Canada that cried most of the way through the service.

Pastor Herman and his wife were so gracious and invited us to have lunch with them and that is when I learned that the six white people from different areas that had been in church were also staying and working with the adults and children at Pastor Herman's church for the week.

We had just finished dinner when I was told that the foursquare pastor that I had wanted to meet in Uganda was ill but that he had sent his wife to meet with me and we sat on the couch and chatted for quite a bit of time. Who knows what it will lead to next year, if god brings me back, and the possibility of doing a crusade with them. She told me that her husband would gather some of the many Pastors he is over and villagers from a large surrounding area in northern Rwanda for a crusade but that it really needed to be a two-day crusade.

Before leaving Pastor Herman took us on a tour of his place showing us a few small classrooms and the couple more that were made of 10 and rough lumber with a dirt floor. He told us that he had 150 students going to school there. And he showed us the boys room and the girls room of orphans that he also cares for. It was an interesting site to see bunks stacked three high for children I'm sure so very well pleased to have a dry clean bed to sleep in.

The gentleman from Canada came and spoke to me before we left and asked me if we could share my testimony of which I told him of course. I would like to be a fly on the wall as he shares my testimony and then asked his own about how the Holy Spirit touched his heart do the words I have spoken.

After dinner at Alfred’s home it was time to take me back where I am staying. Alfred and Pastor Aaron and I talked about some upcoming events before they took off for home about 10:30.

Well, it was time to arrange my clothes for tomorrow and as I look at the clock I see it is now 10 min. after 12 so it’s time for me to go to bed.
Thanks for your continued prayers,

That none would be lost,

 Arlene

No comments:

Post a Comment