Monday, August 8, 2016

Aug. 8 ……….. Yes, it’s cold here!



Ministry Partners,

For the second time during this trip I slept from 10:30 until 7 am without waking. Just goes to prove that a safe place, a good mattress and warm blankets (yes, its cold here), warm water to bathe, a good meal and exhaustion will do for a person.

I did not need my granola this morning as a wonderful breakfast of French toast, bacon, 3 – kinds of cereal, fried potatoes, scrambled eggs, orange or papaya juice and a lg. tray of all kinds of fresh fruit, toast and hot beverages was served. Hummmm, how much weight am I going to gain this trip? With such good food I am glad we are paying for room and board (lunch is extra if you want it) in one package.

“Auntie” as she refers to herself is related to the founder of this place and says she comes here for some time every year as a volunteer. She is a total joy with a personality to match. She has been so helpful to us that Alfred told her today that just meeting her would want to make a person come and stay here. She laughed and said no one had ever told her that. I showed her about 5 of the new scarves that had been donated and she picked the animal print one which she couldn’t wait to put on.

It was a slow morning for us as Pastor Joseph who was to bring someone to meet me at 11:30 called and rescheduled until 12:30 so Alfred and I worked on our financial book-work and I was able to work on getting the blog post up to date. This is the first place I think I have ever stayed in Africa that has consistent, good Wi-Fi available, what a treat.
Alfred and I decided to walk around the corner to a “mall” with a bank to exchange dollars for shillings and see what was available in the grocery market. I passed up a jewelry and accessory vendor outside but ended up buying some Kenyan tea and coffee. The shy stock boy was so nice and informed me of the brands that were the best quality.  

We met with the man in the Finance Office to pay our bill here and he was so very nice giving us a special rate for our second night here that I had Alfred go to my room and bring the bag of ties so he could choose a nice one for himself. And since Joseph and his guest were arriving at 12:30 we ordered lunch for all four of us to be served at 1:30. But when he arrived he had brought two guests and the daughter of one guest so Alfred hurriedly went to the kitchen to advise them of the change.

It ended up the men were actually brothers from a large family, one, Pastor George, was a former military man who is now a prison chaplain and the other, Rev. Charles, who said that they had 4 more siblings who were pastors at other churches. By the end of our time together I was invited to speak at all five churches in 2017 if God brings me back next year.
 Pastor George, Arlene & Rev. Charles

It was a meeting by God’s design for sure and they gave me such valuable information for moving forward with prison ministry here in the future. Then we had our delicious lunch of potatoes, fish, Samosas, green beans, buttered carrots and fruit pizza for dessert. 

Later in the afternoon a friend of Alfred’s came by to visit with him and meet me, then he had dinner with us.

It was a good day and a lot was accomplished. We head back to Uganda tomorrow.

That none would be lost,
Arlene

1 comment:

  1. Our weather here in our part of OR is chilly in the morning and evening. Rain yesterday. But warmer weather is coming. WE are headed to the zoo on the weekend, when it's going to be quite warm...of course! So glad to hear updates from you and that you are getting good sleep at night. Makes for a better day! Hugs and blessings, my friend!

    ReplyDelete