Sunday, August 7, 2016

Aug. 5, 2016 …… They came in a truck



Ministry Partners,

What a luxury to sleep in today as we did not need to be to breakfast until 9 and although it is cold here to have an extra so I was ever so comfy. Along with that we did not have to meet Pastor Ben, the Kenyan pastor we are working with, until 2pm.

After our drive into town Alfred had to get another Sim card for his phone as the Uganda one for the time we are in Kenya. I take so much for granted in the states as I can drive anywhere and my car is insured and my phone works anywhere. 

Pastor Ben arrived at our van, while the guys were taking care of the phone, and said because his electricity had been out his phone was not charged so he went into a nearby building where a friend of his worked to get it charged.

While Aaron and I were waiting I had the opportunity to give a few of the ladies walking down the street, with baskets of produce on their head, a scarf and tract. After about all the guys returned to the van and we were off to the church. You can’t imagine the large complex Pastor Ben has and oversees. He has a nice home, school, a large church building and a large hospital that is almost ready to open. He has three children and a darling wife.
 
When we arrived we were invited into his home and then waited as pastors arrived and sat in an outside porch to have something to eat as they had come quite a distance. Our team was not invited to meet them because as honored speaker/guests we were put into a “cast system” cultural setting. Those who know me know I so wanted to walk right out and greet each one but I kept my place in the living room with my team.

After a short time they disappeared and walked to the church. By the time our team was ushered into the church it was full of pastors and villagers and many of the had arrived standing in the back of a big open truck !!! The generator was running and beautiful worship music was being led by a group on the platform. Pastor Ben was leading the group with such a powerful voice. Later as I was speaking and Pastor Aaron was translating for me he was struggling a bit with the Swahili language they speak here so Pastor Ben took over.

Pastor Aaron is the most gifted man especially when it comes to the different languages. Goodness, Pastor Ben has the most powerful strong tone to his voice I had to concentrate on what I was saying and not just turn around and listen to him.
At the end of the service we presented those who accepted Christ as Savior with a Bible/Booklet set and I also presented both Pastor Ben with the gift of 2 ties and his wife with the gift of a handmade shopping bag and new scarf. The pastors present received a tie and the pastor’s wives with a donated scarf.
 
Pastor Ben & his wife & Arlene
 
After the service we returned to the pastor’s home for some African tea before setting off to our hotel.

Time is not an issue here as Alfred ordered dinner while we were still at the church and when we arrived at the hotel some 1 ½ hours later …….. dinner was still not quite ready but I must say the French Beans and other vegetables, Carrots and onions, ect.,are the best I have had in Africa. So, they are worth the wait. But it is not my favorite to be eating dinner at 10.

It was a powerful day and another one to give God praise.

Do not have a modem for Kenya so finding internet service/wifi is difficult. I am not able to post every day so I will try to make two posts a day.

Thank you for keeping us and our efforts before the Lord.
That none would be lost,
Arlene

No comments:

Post a Comment