Thursday, June 30, 2022

June 30 - Counting the prsoners every hour

 Ministry Partners,

it was nice to sleep in today until 7:00 AM as breakfast was not until 8 and  then at about 9:00 we were off to Lira Men's Prison with the women's prison being in the afternoon. Breakfast was a variety of foods according to what we ordered. For me it was plain tea, bacon, french toast and pineapple. The guys had  coffee, African tea, juice, omelette, chapatti, beans and watermelon.

We often see animals like this baboon as we travel

No matter how many prisons I go to it still is a heartbreaking thing to enter and see the faces and conditions the prisoners live in. It is nothing against the prison administration it is just housing so many and having so little. It does make me wonder though why with nothing much to do why the prisons are not in pristine, clean conditions. As I looked t the uniforms to day it was clear that there is a meaning behind each different one. Some yellow and some orange and some yellow with blue collars while others had blue collars and sleeves.

Today was interesting as the stopped us twice and we had to wait quite some time as they counted. I am not sure if they were missing someone or what he issue was. Watching the men crouch in rows in the hot sun for quite a length of time was had to watch. Neither Alfred or Aaron speaks the language here so an inmate translated for me.At the end of the buildings center where we were the were cooking in gigantic pots with the fire flame licking at the bottom and sides of the pots. The sicking smell of smoke filled the air and burnt or eyes. I cannot imagine breathing that every day.

The O.C. was a younger man with a broad smile but every bit in authority.

At the women's prison there were some children and the women were a bit scattered with some sitting on the ground at the side of the covered area where we were and others along side an adjoining where we were. Once again a woman prisoner translated for me.

After the rutted dirt roads we traveled yesterday but the time I finished 2 crusades today my hips were very sore so I laid across my bed for a bit when we got back to where we are staying. On the way home we stopped at a market so Alfred could pick me up more yogurt. Eating some every day is helping my tummy. I had spaghetti last night but am not sure what tonight will bring.

I am VERY disappointed as yesterday after writing on the blog it would not let me post to fb. and although I just tried again it will not.

Tomorrow is another travel day plus 2 prison crusades so we appreciate your continuing prayers for the prisoners and for us.

That none would be lost,

Arlene

1 comment:

  1. Good to read any post on journey in Africa. It would be interesting to drink tea 🫖 ☕️ from there. It sounds like you're feeling somewhat better and I'm still praying for you and team. I did see your previous post. God be with you today and beyond my friend. Becky 🌹

    ReplyDelete