Monday, June 20, 2022

June 20- So much to post

Ministry Partners,

By now you probably know I have been dealing with illness. I now have the facts to report as the doctor here said that I had breathed bad air and contracted a blood infection. I remember very clearly on the plane ride from Portland to New Jersey that within 30 minutes of the five hour plane ride I got a headache that lasted for the entire flight although I was wearing a mask except when I drank water or ate a snack. 

Then when I arrived in New Jersey within 15 minutes of debarking the plane the headache had vanished. I met another group of Christians that were also traveling to Uganda to work in the Gulu area so of course we stuck up a conversation and I remembered telling them that there was something wrong with the air in the plane from Portland because it had caused me such a headache that immediately cleared up when I left the plane and breathed airport air. Then after boarding the plane to Brussels I noticed that my shoulders and hips were becoming painful but I assumed that it was because of all the sitting . Because the plane in New Jersey was so late taking off that we missed our connection in Brussels and all of us that were going to Uganda were re routed to France and then to Addis Ababa with a 10 hour layover before finally arriving in Entebbe . A trip that was supposed to take two days actually took three and I was in quite a bit of pain . 

After a couple of days here I told Alfred I needed to go to a clinic there was something wrong I was coughing violently my stomach was swollen and painful, I was concerned that the malaria that I had gotten a few years ago was coming back. The clinic doctor was ever so nice and after we talked and they checked my blood he said that I had a blood infection and that I had gotten it from breathing bad air. He sent his staff to the pharmacy to get the IV antibiotics (a combination of three different types) and I stayed laying down in one of the rooms at his office while his nurse administered the IV. Then he sent me home with additional oral antibiotics, but those were so strong that they made my stomach cramp something fierce. My throat became so raw that I coughed violently and was unable sleep at night. My brain was so fuzzy and my balance was gone. I fell into a wall here and thought I had broken my nose but thankfully did not.

Even with that the first two prisons we did saw many receive Christ as Savior. God had the victory.

Alfred has some medical training so he tried all he could to take care of me and have me stay hydrated. Finally in desperation he had the restaurant where we stay make an African remedy for me. Well I must tell you it was the nastiest stuff I have ever tasted, Lemon, Garlic, Ginger and Honey but believe it or not it worked and I was able to get some rest.


Deputy Commissioner Apollo arrive with the items we were required to purchase for each prison. Pastor Peace will take them and the Bibles and booklets and offload at each prison we will visit. Because of Covid they were unable to provide much soap for the prisoners, 3 boxes for 3months for 2,000 prisoners because the soap had become extremely expensive. At the men's and women's prison today they applauded when they say the soap. Goodness how much we take for granted!

I must say that I was such a sad day for my on Sunday as I knew I needed to cancel my time at the church and stay in bed so I would be rested for star more prisons today.

It's been an amazing thing the people from around the world that have called Alfred and talked with me to ask me how I was doing and to tell me they were praying for me. Last night a local pastor heard I was ill and came my to pray over and prophesy over me. I was blessed, what a dear elderly man he was.

Today when I awoke I was much better but not a 100% yet. But we were able to do two prisons today and about 1,800 received Christ as Savior. We will do two prisons tomorrow and then travel to another town.

Now that I am feeling better I will try to do a much better job of writing on these posts.

  • Pray for the souls of the prisoners that they would choose Christ
  • Pray for a fresh anointing of the Holy Spirit
  • Pray for my health and the teams
  • Pray for travel safety

That none would be lost,

Arlene

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for all the details of your trip, the yucky air, and how God is providing medicine and healing for you. Praising the Lord for the 1800 souls.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so thankful you are feeling better. Yucky smell on an airplane ✈️ isn't good. You may not be the only one. I'm glad Alfred helped you. God bless you in the days ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Continuing to pray for you each day. Praising the Lord for his victories.

    ReplyDelete