Sunday, June 26, 2022

June 26 - Leaving Kampala

 Ministry Partners,

This morning at 8:00 o'clock we left the town of Kampala and the lovely place we have been staying. The owners of the hotel were kind in allowing us to keep a locked storeroom for the things we will not need on our remaining Uganda prison travels or when we arrive in Kenya. The also packed us a variety of breakfast drinks and foods since we were leaving so early. I am still having trouble eating so was happy we stopped yesterday on the LONG drive home and picked up a variety of yogurt for me. The pineapple Greek yogurt is wonderful and i am trying to help my gut health.

We had bible booklets for Kenya and other things too much for the inside of the van so my bright fuchsia suitcase was wrapped with a tarp and tied down on the top of our van. Now, we looked like locals!

We were on a 4 hour drive to get to the two prisons in Hoima. I am still feeling weak so I slept most of the way there at least as best I could with the myriad of speed bumps, 1 large, 4 small, 2 small, 3 med the 4 small again. Of all the things I love about Africa those nasty speed bumps are not one of them, they just jar and shake everything to bits including my back and hips.


The O.C. was a tall pleasant man with a broad smile and as we went inside the prisoners were all gathered in a "U" fashion with a few sitting under the roof hangover and the rest sitting in the HOT sun.  My heart went out to them and yet they never moved for the 2 + hours I taught. I was able to do my preaching from a narrow strip of shade but made the bad mistake of stepping out in the sun for a a few minutes. I quickly retreated to the shade but within a few minutes it was as if my strength was stripped from me. I quickly sat on the steps as I told Alfred I thought I was going to pass-out from the heat. After explaining to the prisoners that I was dealing with some issues with my blood the Holy Spirit helped me finish. It was amazing watching so many make decisions for Christ including the O.C. and as we were walking towards the car one guard asked Aaron the pray with him so he could receive Christ as Savior. 

Then it was off to the women's section were we found 20 women. When we finished we were able to give each one a bible & booklet along with a headscarf. Each of the babies there received one of the crouched caps made by the group from Canby Foursquare Church.

Then it was off to find a place to stay for the night. After we got our rooms we headed to the restaurant where I actually felt like eating for the first time.

After working on finances with Alfred and I finished this blog I will take a hot bath in the tub here, unusual for sure and get to bed early, another first!

Your continuing prayers are appreciated.

That none would be lost,

Arlene

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad you felt like eating today. Hopefully life in your body will be feeling better soon. It's very hot here in Woodburn. Saturday evening Megan and I were at the tabernacle in Turner at Christian convention. It was so warm in there I wasn't sure if we were going to stay the whole time but it did cool down. It felt like one of the fans was moved so there was cooler air, from behind us. My legs weren't feeling the best early a.m. so I sat on recliner after rubbing my legs with a muscle rub. I did fall asleep and survived going to church and eating lunch at Denny's with Phil and a couple of friends after church. God bless and may you and team feel His presence.

    ReplyDelete