Wednesday, May 24, 2017

May 24

Ministry Partners,
One thing to be sure of during one of our ministry trips is the things change regardless
 to our itinerary.

We were to be headed to Masaka today but due to the issues with the van we had to stay in Kampala today. After our breakfast the man we rented the van from came to evaluate the issues with the van undercarriage and the tire. He was the one who needed to choose a new tire and decide if and what damage was done to the undercarriage. The owner of the van said the tire was new and we needed to pay 1/2 of the price to replace it, we were told to pay $150 and he said he would pay $100 which was gracious of him as he also paid to have the wheels lined up.

You would have needed to be there to understand what happened.

We took a "shortcut" because the main road was so clogged with vehicles it really was like a non-moving parking lot but everyone seemed to have the same idea so the narrow rutted/potholed, speed-bumped  road we were on was also bumper to bumper with 18 wheeler vehicles raising such dust that visibility was poor to say the least. We were following the taillights of a Toyota which was helpful because in the darkness as he dodged a pothole and braked it helped Aaron know what to dodge.
They drive on the left side of the road here except when  you are dodging potholes then you drive where ever there is space. An 18 wheeler was all of a sudden barreling down in front of us, many drive without turning their lights on, to keep from having a head-on the Toyota and we hit the rock filled ditch and we hit hard about 4 times. I'm surprised we did not knock the oil pan off then but when Aaron realized we had blown a tire we were just at the hotel where we stay. I am so thankful that we were not out in a village and to God who kept us safe.

After my health issues and the events of last night on the road I just must share with you a devotional I received today:
I Will Protect You
I am your shield of protection. Many times you wonder where I am in the midst of the battle that rages around you. You feel abandoned on the battlefield. Don’t be afraid and don’t lose faith. I am here, and I am always victorious. I will protect you, but you must trust Me. Sometimes I will lead you to shelter for safety and restoration. Other times I will ask you to join Me on the front line in the heat of the battle. The truth is, I can kill any giant that threatens your life, but, just like David the shepherd boy, it’s up to you to march forward, pick up the stones, and face your giant. I love to prove My strength when the odds are the greatest and hope is the smallest. I am truly your shelter and your deliverer--I will protect you no matter where you are.
Love, Your King and your Protector



Just as I started writing the blog today the young lady, Frieda, came to clean my room and we got to talking ........ Yep, I got to share Christ with her and although she is from a M. family today she received Christ as her Savior. I was ever so happy to give her a Bible set.

I sort photos every day from the camera and put them in folders in this computer so that when I get home I can more easily create my Power Points to show when I go to churches/homes to share about this trip and the culture here. Today as I was sorting yesterdays photos I came across these two: 
Are you hungry?
 I have been telling you about the roadside vendors that rush to your van when you stop, I was not sure of what I was seeing from this vendor but the guys made a purchase.
A paper cone filled with a serving of dried grasshoppers


They wanted me to try them but my response was, "At 73 I do not have to eat anything I don't want to, thanks, no but go ahead and enjoy."

About 3pm I decided to venture out on my own to hand out some scarves and tracts. The busy road and railroad goes right by the hotel where we are staying and vendors are all along the roadside and tracts. The ground is so rough and uneven I have to walk slowly but I encountered a number of women. Some spoke a few words of English but all were blessed by a tangible gift of God's love. Thank you to you who donate scarves.

It was 8pm by the time the guys returned but all the errands got done and we are ready to take off tomorrow.

That none ould be lost,
Arlene

No comments:

Post a Comment