Thursday, May 11, 2017

May 11 .......



Ministry Partners,
Unlike the previous night last night was very peaceful and I had the added comfort of having a new mosquito net that covers my whole bed, the last one has been here for the 5 years I have stayed here and it only covered half of the bed. All that to say with the heat here I was able the stretch out on top of the covers. Funny how such a small thing can make such a difference. This morning, outside my room and on the complex, it was the familiar sounds of the flurry of cleaning everything outside, every tile and step being wiped down by hand.

Our breakfast was the same with African Tea, fresh pineapple juice, fresh pineapple, “omelets”, toast and samosas. Because I do not care for the “omelets” I have a small bowl of cornflakes and the add some of my own granola to it. I found a wonderful granola here at a very fair price so I will not bring it from America again. 

Today we went to our third prison, which makes 124 entrances into 43 different prison facilities in Rwanda, Uganda and Kenya that IRM has done prison ministry in since we began in 2006. They originally told us that there were only men in this prison but when we arrived we found that there were 5 women and 1 child there. I had not brought anything for women but I was thankful that my backpack filled with scarves and tracts was in the van so I was able to give each of the women a scarf and the child a knitted hat.

We were graciously welcomed by the Officer in Charge but asked to wait to enter as the prisoners were out working and he had called for them to return. You would have to know what a big deal it was for him to call them back. Again, God saw to it that we had found great favor with him!  
They listened so intently as they were all seated on the ground under the shade of a huge tree with very wide branches. Prisoners and guards totaled about 125. I was pleased that I did not have to stand in the sun to preach. The O.C. never left like the often do but sat through the entire crusade. It’s an amazing thing to watch the Holy Spirit break loose the spiritual chains of darkness around their hearts as they stood, one by one, until everyone except the man that was crippled. Hearing them boldly admit they were a sinner and ask Jesus for forgiveness made me so thankful to be able to watch Him work in such a fashion. We ended as usual with the message of Forgiveness and again they stood and prayed forgiveness over someone else of themselves.

Then it was a fun time as we were able to give each prisoner a Bible/Booklet set. It’s wonderful when the prison is very small and we have enough Bibles to give each one a copy of their own, that they can take home when they are released. The few blankets we left with them was not enough for sure but at least they saw our heart in doing what we could.

The O.C. thanked us for coming and for the Bible sets and blankets and then one of the young prisoners stood to share what it meant for us to be there. He said he had been a certain religion all his life but today he asked Jesus to be his Savior and that he had forgiven those who had hurt him. When anyone from that religion takes such a stand for Jesus it will cost him being disowned. I am thankful for the courage God gave him to declare his new faith. Then he said God had given him a song just then that he wanted to sing for us which he did. Please pray that these new believers would stay strong in their faith. 

One of the women asked me to pray for them as I was leaving and I could see the pain in her eyes as she said, “Things are hard here”. I did not have to ask her what she meant ………. please pray for her and the other women.

On the drive back to our lodging we thought we would have our sandwich but found that the bread had gone bad so we stopped by a roadside vender and hand an ear of roasted corn and a package of roasted goat meat. Goat meat is not too bad, especially when you are hungry. As we travel the roadway those selling their wares are everywhere lining the roadways.
Roadside merchants are everywhere
I put in my order for dinner with Alfred; Goat stew, rice, fresh green beans with carrots and cabbage slaw but I will see what I will actually get when I go for dinner. 

Tomorrow we go to a local women’s prison so we will not have to drive the long distances like we have the last two days.

Thank you for your continuing prayer covering.
That none would be lost,
Arlene

No comments:

Post a Comment