Sunday, December 31, 2023

Dec. 31 New Years Eve Day - 1 compined prison visit today

 Ministry Partners,

 
Pastor Aaron, Bishop Arlene, Pastor Alfred

 

The IRM team wants to wish all of you a very Happy New Year 2024.

Breakfast was very interesting today, Alfred was not sure I was going to have much to eat. Instead of us serving ourselves for the first time they decided what the would give is to eat. I was thankful Aaron wanted the watermelon on the plate they brought me and traded me for the pineapple on his plate. The guys had a full plate of local food (cooked banana with peas, potatoes and sauce) but after some time I was able to get a 1 egg omelette. Alfred asked if I could please has a slice of bread or toast and they eventually brought me 2 pieces of toast. It was interesting as we had sat there and watched them make 25-30 loaves of bread and put them through their slicer before putting the fresh loves in plastic. The toast was delicious and from all the loaves they made I would say they have quite a business selling bread. We bought a loaf so we could have PP&J sandwiches for lunch.

Today we did a crusade for the men and women of Rukengiri Max. Security Prison where we were welcomed by the Deputy O.C.. Because we stayed at a hotel that was close to the prison it was only a 5 min. drive. The very high cement walls and corner guard towers of the prison presented a daunting sight as we passed through 3 gates to enter. 

The inmates were seated in an area that sloped down which was wonderful as all of them could see us and the object lessons we use for each lesson: salvation, discipleship, forgiveness and apologizing. The women were brought in to sit on the side, kind of behind me so I needed to continue turning so they knew they were included. It is so wonderful watching them grasp the truth that regardless of their past that Jesus loved them and died on the cross to pay the dept for their sin, then offering them the gift of salvation. Again the Holy Spirits work in their hearts was evident as they responded to all the invitations. 

After we finished I gave each lady a donated scarf and the children the crochet caps. I must say it does make me sad that many of the children scream when I come close to them, the first white person they have ever seen, although the mothers and inmates laugh.

One inmate said that he knew God allowed him to be in prison just so he could hear today's message about "Fear" and about "Forgiveness". He forgave all who had offended him and asked for forgiveness from those he had offended.

We then headed for a town 2 + hours away to be prepared for tomorrows prison crusade. After finding us a place to stay I went to work on this blog and sorting photos from today while the guys went into town to try and find a new radiator cap since Aaron says there is an issue with ours and find a repair place to fix the issue with our brake lights that won't turn off. But because it is Sunday a shop may be hard to find. 

The guys have returned and although shops are closed they were able to find a mechanic so everything on the van is fixed ($165) and ready to go for tomorrow.

I finally have determined that I need to dismiss out of my mind what any food in America tastes like compared to a food here by the same name. I ordered beef stroganoff for dinner and it came in a salty brown gravy instead of the creamy sauce I am used to. But the chef did a great job on the pineapple coleslaw.

Its only 7:15 here but I can hear the loud music for the partygoers although Alfred got our rooms at the far end of the complex. I am thankful that I have earplugs as he says there will be fireworks at midnight. It was raining a bit ago so I wonder if the festivities will be rained out tonight.

Enjoy the your celebrations in America.

That none would be lost,

Arlene


2 comments:

  1. At church this morning, the pastor spoke on 1 John 2:1-2, Jesus being our Advocate, and if we confess Him, God can now pound His gravel and say "Case dismissed!"! God is having a busy and wonderful time pounding His gavel these days as you and your team minister to these people in the prisons!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy New Year! Lord bless you and keep you!

    ReplyDelete