Thursday, December 21, 2023

Dec. 21

Ministry Partners,

After watching the Holy Spirit work in the hearts of the prisoners and staff again today I am even more sure that despite sleepless nights, extremely rough jarring roads, unfamiliar food and HOT weather everything is so worth it, so VERY worth it and I am truly blessed to be here.

Breakfast today was a variety of local" foods which the guys enjoyed but I settled for 2 beef chunks in sauce over rice, plantains, bread & butter and plain tea. 

The guys "local food"  &  my choice
 
I was so pleased that Kaweere Prison was only 6 min. away today so breakfast was later at 8.
Every prison has it's own "flavor" so to speak and at this one the staff was strong but gentle and kind. The O.C. welcomed us, saying some very kind things about IRM, our coming at Christmas and the supplies Pastor Peace had delivered some days ago. The Deputy O.C. got the prisoners assembled for us. I was thankful that although there were 47 women there they sat in a covered porch area off the ground but sad there was wire between us. So they were at eye level with me. But my heart went out to the 400+ men prisoners  who sat on a sloped area before me, in the sun which was very hot today. I don't know how they sat there so intently listening to me in the direct sun, but intent they were for 2 1/2 hours.
 
When we entered the prisoners seated area I greeted a number of then by shaking hands with them and then reached through the wire to greet a number of the women. I could hear the rumblings from the other prisoners and Alfred says it speaks volumes to the inmates  about what I think of them when I do that. 
The Deputy O.C. and a lead woman guard sat behind me for almost the entire time I was speaking and of course they had me standing under a large tree that gave great shade. I could see 3 other woman guards sitting with the women and a few men guards wandering around the outside of where the men inmates sat.
 
We were originally given 2 hours but after the Deputy O.C. watched a portion of our program he disappeared for a few minutes and then returned giving us an additional 30 min.
 
As I gave the invitation for salvation I could see the Deputy O.C. and women guards also responding with the inmates followed by the same when I gave the "Forgiveness" invitation to pray forgiveness over anyone who offended or hurt them. Perhaps, the prisoners were forgiving themselves for the poor choice they made that landed them in prison or the person who raped them when they were a child. Setting themselves FREE by choosing to forgive is a concept they clearly understand when they observe our "rope" object lesson.

Then we gave a few the opportunity to tell what God had done in their heart during our time together. One woman was crying so I did not think she would want to speak but she was the first. She said she had decided to never forgive her husband because he brought her to prison but because of Jesus salvation she made the choice to forgive him and she then named him as he was one of the men prisoners also there.
While others were giving their testimonies, because of time, I went around the wire and gave the 5 children there crochet caps and the 47 women a donated scarf. I counted what I had left and was also able to give the 4 women guards a scarf.

But when I finished handing out scarves and returned to where the men prisoners were one very tall inmate came forward and said how he had been a alcoholic and had cheated on his wife with another woman but he was going to call his wife and ask for forgiveness. Then he dropped to his knees and put his hands in the air saying he had determined to NEVER receive Jesus as his Savior but he had changed his mind and asked if I would lead him in the prayer of confession. So in view and hearing of everyone I led  him in the prayer of receiving Christ as Savior.

All the while I was speaking I noticed that the Deputy O.C. was writing in his book and when I finished he went before the inmates and reminded them of three of the most important points to my messages.

I prayed a final prayer over the inmates and wished them a Merry Christmas. We left the inside of the prison with the Deputy O.C. and one woman guard to take my photo with them by the prison signpost for out report to the Commissioner at the end of the trip, the Deputy asked me how old I was and when was my birthday. I told him 79 and 2024 is my 80th birthday year. He said I needed to come back and celebrate my birthday with them. What an invitation from Prison Services!!!!

After stopping for gas to prepare for tomorrow we had lunch out of our lunchbox at the hotel before the guys retired for naps in their room and I got this blog written.

Thank you again everyone of you who are praying for us and/or have given financially so we could be here. The inmates feel like God has sent them a special gift this Christmas.......salvation from the Savior.

Blessings to all of you.
That none would be lost,
 
Arlene


3 comments:

  1. "And the gates of hell shall not prevail"! What wonderful rejoicing is going on in heaven these days because of the decisions that these men and women are making for Jesus!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I get a thrill every time I hear about you giving away scarves. My mom would have been so pleased.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Praying the evil one is defeated each day and many will come to know God's forgiveness.

    ReplyDelete