Tuesday, December 26, 2023

Dec. 26 2 Prisons today

 Ministry Partners,

Every day holds such wonderful events and we have the opportunity to watch the Holy Spirit work thing out for us and provide for us, not always as we would expect.

I must tell you about the end of the second prison crusade first. There was a man there that we used for our lesson on "Being a child of the king." that came to me after we finished and he said he had seen me at another prison in 2019 and he wanted to show me that he still had the bible that I had given him. It was well worn and very used. Thank you to those of you who support the "IRM Bible Project".

"You gave me this bible in 2019"

 

Our breakfast this morning was good for the guys and a good one for me also. I had an omelette, bread, potato wedges, pineapple, banana and tea. There was also corn flakes and another cereal if you wanted it but I had enough, it was the first time on this trip that cereal has been offered.

We drove about to our first farm prison and found that there were 1,200 inmates there and although Alfred had contacted the O.C. and talked to him about our coming he was not there to welcome us but turned us over to a Deputy. We went to the area they directed us to and began to setup. It was a very large grass covered area with a small tree on one side and a shrub "fence" about 2 feet tall separating us from a dirt area almost the same size. As the inmates came they were directed to the dirt area buy the deputy. I asked him if they could please come and sit on the grass and he refused. But the small tree was ow on the opposite side from where the prisoners were so in order for me to NOT be far away from the men I had to make the decision to stand close to the shrub barrier which meant that I would preach 2 to 2 1/2 hours in the sun.

As the inmates entered the narrow walkway onto the dirt I reached across the shrub barrier  and extended my hand and shook hands with as many as I could. Some reached across the inmate in front of then to be able to reach my hand. Goodness, something so simple, such a simple act of kindness always make such an impact, not just to those I touch but also to those who watch.

I cannot explain the impact it has on me as I observe the hopeless eyes and faces of both men and women inmates. Except by the grace of God being born who I am and where I was, I could be one of them.

I must admit that I completely forgot about the sun and my time out in it. All the invitations were responded to and Jesus became the Savior almost all of them and watching them apologize to each other really leaves me without words. 

After finishes we had time to travel the short distance to the next prison. The great thing about doing these farm prisons at Christmas time is that the prisoners are having special free time so they are all able to be in our crusades and not in the fields working. God's timing is ALWAYS perfect. 

The O.C. at the second prison greeted us and then informed us that he needed to turn us over to the Deputy O.C. as he had to take his wife to the hospital. The Deputy did a fine job of assembling the 750 inmates under a cement floored, metal roofed building. The crusade was a duplicate of the morning crusade. As we left the Deputy came to our van with a large box of Mangos as a thank you.

When we left the prison we drove through but did not find lodging in the small town there as prison officials yesterday told us not to stay there as it was not safe for white people to be there at night so we drove to Kasese. Alfred found us a nice hotel a for the first time on this trip we have air conditioning and with it being so hot it will be a blessing to be able to sleep comfortably.

Thank you for continuing to pray for us, you are appreciated.

That none would be lost,

Arlene




2 comments:

  1. After seeing the Holy Spirit do His work so many times, you might be tempted to get used to it, but it sounds like you never do! Praise God! Keep these blogs going so we can experience the work of the Holy Spirit through you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoy reading your posts. I especially loved hearing about the man and his Bible. I love that it's becoming worn. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete