Friday, December 29, 2023

Dec. 29 A two hour travel to todays prisons

 Ministry Partners,

Well it was bound to happen, today was very different from what we had planned. I am so glad that Jesus had this day planned before we ever began this trip.

We had a great breakfast and took some items with us for lunch although due to the events of the day we never got to eat most of it.

These two just received Jesus as their Savior

As we were packing our rooms to leave the hotel Aaron arrived at my door asking me to come outside. He had began a conversation with a police officer who now wanted to talk with me. He wanted me to pray with him to receive Jesus as his Savior but when I arrived he also called his friend over to hear me. What a marvelous way to start the day, hearing 2 men boldly pray the sinners prayer. 

We had a two hour drive to today's prisons of 1,200 men and 129 women. Our drive took us through Queen Elizabeth Game Park so we were able to see a few animals as we drove along; Gazelles, baboons, water buffalo and an elephant. Goodness he was magnificent, tusks and all.

The Deputy O.C. who received us at the prison was one of the nicest young officers I have ever met . He was very clear about having all the inmates attend so he left us to get the different groups headed our way. We got ready under a tent while the inmates had lunch. Feeding that many took some time and small group of inmates where we were began praising and constantly dancing for at least 45 min., it was wonderful to watch but as we were seated and watching an inmate came up along my right side reached around me and grabbed my bottle of flavored water and started to run away but another inmate sitting a few feet from me jumped up and grabbed the bottle and the guy. They struggled a bit and my bottle was rescued by the good inmate who tried to give it back to me but I motioned he could have it and got a new bottle out of my bag. It happened so quickly all I could do was grab Alfred's arm, I wasn't afraid just shocked. In 325 entrances into prisons I have never had anything like that happen, no inmate has ever touched me or tried to take anything from me. I wonder what the Deputy O.C. will say/do when the inmates tell him.

It began to drizzle as the Deputy returned and the assembled inmates ran for their barracks while some gathered under the tent with us. The drizzle stopped and the inmates once again assembled. I had got about 10 minutes into my message when it started to nit just drizzle but rain and the inmates again ran to their barracks as Alfred, I and the Deputy discussed what to do. Finally it was decided that we would go to the women's prison as the had a cover and then we would return to the men's side tomorrow. 

The inmates helped us carry our sound system and other things until we got to the inner gate but then could go no farther so the Deputy O.C. grabbed some of our things and headed to the van with us ......we all got soaked and he kept smiling and saying that the rain was a blessing, it made things grow. As I sit in my hotel room now there is a downpour out side.

We arrived at the women's side and were welcomed by the woman Deputy O.C. there. After much discussion they decided to just fit as many women as possible, about 60-65, into their large office as the ground under the outside tent was too wet. even the officers responded to the invitations and one took photos of me as I spoke. After we finished and were leaving one officer wanted to talk to me alone. We chatted for about 20-30 min. and she said she had only been married less than a year and has two children plus is responsible for the schooling tuition of he siblings. My heart went out to her, we spoke and I prayed for her. Please pray for N.

I was so tired that instead of looking around we just stayed at a nearby hotel that I had to walk up two flights of steps to get to my room, usually we are able to get ground level rooms.

Dinner was okay, Alfred got Curry again but Aaron ordered mild flavor and got HOT and I ordered sweet & sour beef that was neither sweet or sour with beef that was not tender for sure. But it was a meal and we were all thankful.

It is 7 pm and the rain has stopped and it is cold, yesterday we used the air conditioning in our van it was so hot. Good thing I have a warm jacket.

Thanks for the continuing prayers,

That none would be lost,

Arlene

1 comment:

  1. Quite the story you shared with alot of rain and prison times you were in. It was raining more than we expected Friday afternoon. At least there's rain and no floods here in our city!! Look forward to seeing your next year, my friend!

    ReplyDelete