Saturday, December 30, 2023

Dec. 30 Bushenyi Prisons today

 Ministry Partners

 
Tonight's dinner was DELICIOUS!

A number of weeks ago we were able to do two prisons in one day although we were only scheduled for one each day. Because of that we have been working a day ahead of the schedule we had prepared but God knew that we would get rained out and the men's prison yesterday and that we would need another day here to speak to the 1,200+ men in this prison. Today was the first time that any prison has been unable to make a dry venue for us when it rained and we had to postpone the crusade for that day altogether. But after today we will be back on our posted schedule. We will revisit the women's prison where we ministered yesterday to deliver to the babies there the darling caps crochet by the ladies from Canby Foursquare Church.

We left at 11 for the prison as it was only 5 min. away, which meant that for the first time this trip we did not have to leave our hotel at 7:30 or 8. Although it was our first and only sleep in morning I was awake at 6:30 and was unable to get on the internet until after we went for breakfast at 8. Alfred had to put more $ on our MTN WakaNet internet.

I was happy with the heavy blanket on my bed last night with the very cool weather here at the top of the mountain. It is overcast this morning and we have asked God to please restrain the rain today until after we finish our crusade. And he did, it was a marvelous day and although they had a tent for us because it was overcast I was able to stand outside and preach which allows me to get closer to the prisoners. There was a huge outpouring of the Holy Spirit for each invitation: salvation, forgiveness and the apology one saw many 100's stepping out to apologize to another inmate or to an officer.

Yesterday when we were at the women's side we saw an officer apologize to an inmate. It is such a powerful thing to see that I can only began praising Jesus for the opportunity to watch. 

But yesterday we received a paper with the names of 51 inmates and today they gave us an updated one with 65 names that was signed and confirmed by a Senior Pastor. The inmates listed are fasting today and wanted prayer for their upcoming court date on Jan. 3, 2024. Unlike the U.S. prisons where we hold those who have been convicted of crimes the Ugandan prisons hold those accused of a crime but have not been to court yet. It is VERY possible that some of these men are not guilty.


Please pray for these men that God's perfect will for them would be done in court.

When we finished Alfred pointed to an inmate standing close by, it was the inmate who protected me yesterday. I was so happy for the opportunity to verbally thank him in front of everyone and give him a HUGE hug. The other inmates applauded and Alfred said he will never forget that hug.

One blind prisoner testified how God worked in his heart today and another said that today was really Christmas for him because of the message of love and salvation that I brought.

 As we were leaving I asked the Deputy O.C., Godfrey, if he was married as I did not see a ring and he said he had a girlfriend and would be married in a few weeks. I went to my bag of scarves and found a beautiful white one with shimmers and put it in a bag, then handed it to him for her. I told him if God brought me back to Uganda that I hoped to meet him again and blessed him.

Then we were off the a town 1 hr and 30 min away to be prepared to visit the prison there tomorrow, Sunday.

We found a decent hotel but I already had them bring me a fan since we are no longer on top of a mountain but down in the valley where the heat remains.

Alfred just brought the chef to my room for me to give him my order but once again the first 4 things I picked off the menu they did not have. Finally, Alfred asked him what was available and when he named "beef burger' I thought I would give it a try. I asked him if he made coleslaw and he said yes, I then asked how he made it. He said,"Cabbage, carrot, onion and mayo." Great, no vinegar so I asked him to fine chop some pineapple and add that. He agreed and smiled. We will see what dinner brings. The burger was great and so big even I had a hard getting my mouth around it, the fries were crispy and good and the coleslaw was wonderful.

As I write this I just got a message on Whats App that said "My God's mercy be upon you." It was from the Deputy O.C. Godfrey from Bushenyi Prison where we were this morning.

It's raining outside and has cooled a bit, please Jesus, hold the rain back tomorrow as we share your love with the inmates and staff.

Please continue to pray.

That none would be lost,

Arlene

 

 

3 comments:

  1. That's a good list to read and hopefully those people will not be in prison for longer. May the rain cease when you are doing what's needed. God Bless and Hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. May truth, righteousness and justice prevail over this court date!

    "Powerful" is the word to describe your crusades! Praise God!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our entire prayer group is holding you up in prayer. May the Lord bless you and keep you. Praise Him!

    ReplyDelete