Thursday, August 4, 2016

Aug. 4 …… We travel to Kenya



Ministry Partners,

It was an early morning for us today as we are heading over the border to Kenya. I am thankful that I have a vise that allows me to travel to neighboring countries for three month without having to purchase a new one.

A photo of the cattle truck and boy I told you about yesterday

Sorry I was unable to post this last night but the minutes in my modem had run out and although Alfred had picked up our repaired van he and Geoffrey were stuck in traffic again. They had left at 5 and they did not finally return until after 11. He said at one point he got out of the van, with Geoffrey behind the wheel, and walked a distance to get them something to eat and when he returned the van was in the same spot with the traffic still deadlocked. The traffic police told Alfred that the roadway way so clogged for such a distance that if an ambulance came the person inside would just die because there were so many vehicles, so packed, for so far that the ambulance could not get through!

We arrived at Malaba, the Uganda side of the boarder in good order but did have to go through another fierce rain storm but this had hail mixed with the rain. I never thought I would see hail in Africa!!!
 
We stopped for Alfred to get bread for our sandwiches and at the police station for Aaron to extend the replacement for his driving license which he lost. After 30 minutes he returned to the car to get $10 for it and said he would be ready to leave in 10 minutes but he came right back out. The rest of us had our sandwiches and I made one for him to eat on the way.

The border crossing was interesting to say the least. A man on a motorbike took us through each step at a cost of about $10 which was well worth it. Insurance $60 and Pastors Aaron and Geoffrey needed to get Yellow Fever shots, $10 each. Finally after about a two hour delay for all of this at the border we were on our way.

It’s interesting to see the change – the transport vans are smaller as are the motorbikes. The building fronts are not as tall as in Uganda and Aaron has a name for the pot holes here because they are so much bigger ….. bathtub holes.
We finally arrived safely in Kitale and met up with Pastor Ben who went with us to the place we will be staying. No tub for me but I am too tired to care! It is a bit of a drive back to town but Alfred and Geoffrey took Ben back to town and then got lost and took some time to finally find where will stay tonight. Aaron had left his phone in the car so we had no way to contact them. I am thankful that Aaron stayed behind and was with me in the next room over.

 I am disappointed that I am having trouble with the camera a friend bought for me a number of years ago as I really like it, all the photos I took today are gone.

At the dinner table tonight we were all so tired that by the time it came, 2 hours after our order, laughter accompanied almost every comment, better to find humor that complain.

I have always been so very careful of the water and us bottled water not only for drinking but for brushing my teeth but tonight my mistake I got one of the bottles filled with faucet water for the car in case of emergency. I took two big swallows with some vitamins before I realized the "taste" was awful. Please pray that my tummy and health would not be affected as I have a church crusade tomorrow and a prison one the next day. Good thing I took it with vitamins ........ hope you see the humor in that comment!!!

As I reflect on the time here it is very evident that the Enemy as been at work trying to disrupt events and hearts as he hates the victory he is seeing in those who are being set free by Christ. The fact that God's work will have victory is also evident at every turn. Even in the storms our hearts can remain with His peace and joy as He controls our days and his faithfulness to us is unmeasured.
 
Well, tomorrow is a new day filled with God’s grace.

That none would be lost,
Arlene

No comments:

Post a Comment