Thursday, August 4, 2016

Aug. 3 ……… Ministry in our 11th prison today



Ministry Partners,

It was our last morning in Hoima, Uganda and today we went to prison #11, Kiboga, as we headed back towards Kampala. It is hard to believe that after today we only have two more prisons to do ministry in, unless somehow God adds more.

I will be sorry to not be spending more nights in this hotel as I have been spoiled. It has been so nice to have a hot bath each night to just soak in, a good bed with a great mosquito net and a large screened window so I can enjoy the cool night air as I sleep.
 My very nice room
We had another wonderful breakfast with so many tasty things, discussed today ministry time at the prison and then we were on the road.

There does not seem to be a similarity between prisons except for the color of the outside walls and the walls of the buildings inside. We were graciously welcomed by the O.C. and the Assistant O.C. and it only took a few minutes before we were allowed to enter this Med. Security  were told that the dangerous prisoners would have to listen behind the wire in their windowed door. There were a total of 212 men there and then they brought in 8 women to sit across from the men.

Once again some of the men were under a covered porch area but I could see some faces and hands as their hands clung to the wire grate windows in their doors. The women sat around the base of a round building staying in its shade. I stood in the middle and kept turning around as did Alfred and Aaron as they interpreted for me.
I sun was ever so hot and since I got quite “red” from the sun yesterday I was glad I had put a bit of sunscreen on my arms, forehead and nose before breakfast this morning.

 I watch the eyes of the prisoners that look so hopeless when I first get there and then enjoy having the opportunity to watch the Holy Spirit bring a visible change to not only their eyes but their faces by the time I am ready to leave. 

Before we started we were greeted with such beautiful singing and 3 prisoners using drums that were originally large plastic containers for perhaps oil or something else pourable. They did a great job.

Once I finish the part of the “Fear” message about the Israelites and start with my personal journey of fear it is so interesting to watch their faces. They are so attentive as the Holy Spirit begins working in their hearts. It is such a wonderful thing to be a small part of His work, what great fun to see and hear the responses as they boldly pray!
The Bible sets and scarves brought laughter, squealing and huge smile as the women received then and all the while kneeling before me, it’s a cultural greeting but so very difficult for me to be greeted in such a way. We did not hand out Bible sets or blankets to the men because there was not enough for everyone.

One of the women prisoners told what it meant for us to come and share God’s word with them and the Assistant O.C. said she had been unforgiving towards a woman and she realized today the by not forgiving she was allowing that woman to still have control over her emotionally. Today she said she forgave her and she will continue to speak forgiveness over her.

We never used to see officers made decisions of speak about how God was working in their lives during our time there; it is a welcomed thing now. PRAISE HIS NAME!
Then it was time to head to Kampala but right after we left the prison there was a downpour so fierce that the wipers had a hard time keeping the windshield clear, one time Aaron had to come to a complete stop, I am so thankful the Lord held the rain back until after we had finished at the prison.

I found myself trying to doze a bit on the way back, the sun and heat really saps ones strength. In the back seat Alfred and Geoffrey caught a few winks too.
At one point we passed a cattle trick with the LONG horned cattle they have here. Because of their horns they tie the cow’s heads up to the metal bars across the top of the truck where the “cow headers” sit. The bulls have short horns ar almost none and the cows are the ones with the huge horns. 

The trucks I have been seeing must be filled with cows then that are going to slaughter. In one cow with its head tied up the cow had gotten down and the others were stepping on it so one of the young boy headers climbed down among the cows and was trying to get the downed cow up by pulling up on its tail. We followed the truck for a bit and he was never able to get the cow up. The cows are packed in so tightly that I was concerned about the boy and the cow getting crushed. I’m not sure what happened as we passed them and went on.

Another truck I saw one of the cows must have be distressed and fighting because it had a hind leg sticking out of the side of the truck over one of the high metal rails, it was struggling but could not get its leg back in and down. I hope with the rough roads that it did not end up breaking its leg.

The car was extra heavy on the way back as the guys had purchased a lot of supplies for their families making the car a bit harder to handle, especially since the brakes are not that good. But Aaron got us safely back to the hotel.

Alfred found out that our original van was ready at a garage in the city so we quickly unloaded everything and he and Geoffrey headed into the city center area to exchange vans. It is now 7 o’clock and returned to have dinner, with that awful traffic I am not sure when they will return and we leave in the morning for Kitale, Uganda.

Please pray that we will have safe travels tomorrow.

I want to get this posted so will close for now.

That none would be lost,
Arlene

1 comment:

  1. What a full day of sun and preaching and riding by cattle trucks and people's lives changed for the better in the Lord! I really enjoy your journeys posts. Prayers for continued safety and good health. Glad you had a nice hotel room for a few nights!! A blessing for sure. God continue to bless you Arlene. Hugs!!

    ReplyDelete