Tuesday, August 2, 2016

Aug. 2 …….. The prisoners at Hoima Prison gave me a nickname



Ministry Partners,

It is an absolutely beautiful morning in Hoima Uganda and after a good night’s sleep I feel ready for the day and today we went to prison #10, Masindi. I have a fan in my room that ran all night but just discovered this morning that the huge window behind my bed has a screen on it. So this morning I had such cool air flowing into my room that I will remember tonight to open the window before I retire and then I will not have to use the fan.

I woke up reflecting on something the prisoners said to me yesterday. They said they we giving me the nickname of “Victorious”. I accept their nickname for me because in Christ that is exactly who I am. It is such a good reminder for me!!!

It was good to see Geoffrey last night, he arrived after dinner. He worked hard yesterday seeing that the Bible sets and blankets got delivered to Homia, Masindi and Kiboga Prisons . He also showed them the government letter advising them that IRM had been approved to enter each prison. It is so nice when they have prior notice of our coming as they like to have the prisoners prepared.

The team met for our comp. breakfast at 8 and it was a really good one for the guys as they offered some local breakfast foods, Matoki with peas, beans, sausages, bread, watermelon juice, pineapple, bananas, 2 kinds of dry cereal and a variety of hot drink fixings with hot water and hot milk. I tried to make African tea but was not successful but the waiter brought me some in the cutest container. Tomorrow I will take my camera and get a photo.

A little after 9 Aaron came to my room to get the sound system and other things to load and after prayer we were on the road to Masindi, a 1 ½ hour drive according to the guys. But Aaron, who is the master driver over narrow dirt, washboard, rutted roads got us there in 1 hour.

I love this team an d working with the people here who love the Savior and are full of laughter. I have been treated with so much disrespect for a lot of my life so it is a joy to work with others who treat each other, including me, with respect and honor. I am blessed by every member of this team and by the O.C.’s and officers I have the privilege to meet.

Today we met with Ben, the Deputy O.C. and I found him to be a tall, good looking man with a gentle but firm spirit. He sat through almost all our presentation but did leave for a few minutes. There were 1,200 men there and 67 women and they Holy Spirit did a mighty work in their hearts for both the salvation and forgiveness portions, even the guards and officers responded.

Before we left I asked to visit their gift shop and found a white basket type purse decorated with hot fuchsia and gold metallic trim, just my style. I am really trying to be careful as I do not have much room in my return home luggage. But the price was right for such a lovely “basket” purse, $8 for all that hand work, and I don’t have anything like it.
My beautiful basket purse made at Masindi Prison

Then we were off to Homia to our hotel, planning on having a restful late afternoon when ……bump…..bump……bump, we had a flat. I stayed in the van and decided to update this post as the guys all worked on replacing it with the spare. This was another time I really liked being a girl of 72!!!     

Alfred heard from the owner of the van that we had the accident in and he said the repairs would be $600 but he would pay half so our portion would be $300. I was expecting at least 1,500 – 2,000 so it is just another example of God’s faithfulness and provision for us.

PRAISE HIS NAME FOR THE DECISIONS TODAY AT THE PRISON AND FOR THE FAVOR HE HAS SHOWERED UPON US.

After about ½ hour the guys had the spare on and we were on our way again.
When we arrived at the hotel the guy left to find a place to fix the main tire and the spare as it was losing air. I stayed back to finish this post and sort the photos from today. Imagine my surprise to find out the 16 g. storage card in the camera would no longer work in my computer; I was horrified as we need the photos of the OO.C.’s for the gov. report and I needed the others for my power point presentations at home.

Everyone should have a “computer and all around knowledgeable guy” like Mike Gill at New Life Church to help with technical issues. I texted Mike and then we talked on face time and he tried to help as much as he could and I was finally able, with the Holy Spirit’s help, to get the photos onto my computer direct from the camera without inserting the actual storage card. Another example of God’s faithfulness!

By the time we finished dinner it was late and I still have to get this posted and bathe.
Appreciate your continuing prayers as tomorrow is prison #11.

That none would be lost,
Arlene

2 comments:

  1. Nice basket purse you have. sigh! Glad it's going good for you there, Arlene. Been thinking of you and praying for you. We are doing good here in Oregon. Cooler temps this week. Take care, my friend! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for you prayers dear friend

    ReplyDelete