Sunday, July 6, 2014

July 6 - Our first Sunday in Uganda

Ministry Partners,

We are so busy preparing for the ministry days ahead and even in our preparations we watch God provide for us.

Since our sound system was stolen at the IRM office in Rwanda it was necessary for us to purchase another battery operated system for the outlying prisons we will be doing ministry in since many we know, from prior experience, do not have electricity let alone a sound system. Yesterday we went to town and the first shop in this town of 3.000,000 had just the right system for us.
Although we paid almost the same as our stolen one this one takes a "stick" so we can play music as we set up and the prisoners or villagers gather were able to pay a small price to have Rwandan and Ugandan music downloaded onto one of my sticks for us to use.  It can use 4 mics, it came with 2 cordless mics and we brought one cord one with us and it has far more power than the other one. We used it for village church with Pastor Geoffrey, let it play in the back of the van on the way home and I am listening to it in my room just to see how long the battery produces power for and so far it has run 7 hours on battery....the old one only ran about 2 1/2 hrs..
We were able to also find a stand for the speaker/system as well as a music stand for me to us for my notes when I speak as most village churches and prisons have nothing.

We were also able to go to a printerie and order the Discipleship Booklets for $.38 ea. although we were able to get them in Rwanda for $.26. The gal at the printerie was so nice and a gifted graphic artist who well knew her way around working computer programs and we had to have her make a change on the document. She worked from an area that looked like a converted tiny closet. I was so thankful for her help and what she did that I gave her one of the few scarves I had and a small donated necklace. We will pick up the booklets tomorrow at 4 just in time to return in rush hour traffic!

God's provision today has been so evident once again in so many ways.

I am not sure why it seems so much hotter here than in Rwanda.

Today we went to the village church of Pastor Geoffrey that has just moved to a new rural area, there were about 80 - 90 there. It took us awhile to get there and at one point Alfred hired a motorbike driver to lead us to the church. I was informed that it;s the next best thing to a GPS especially when there are no road signs.


What a sweet group of believers , they wanted me to find time to spend an afternoon with the ladies but our schedule is to full. Their next suggestion was that I move here and join their church. It appears I will be speaking to about 50 pastors, from their churches, that are under Pastor Geoffrey.

Pastor Geoffrey took us to a traditional Ugandan lunch ........ eaten with your hands, roasted pork on a skewer, chopped tomato and red onion salad w/ avocado slices and spears of ???? can't remember the name but it's white and is a root. The team finally took pity on me and the pastor asked for a fork for me, I was thankful.

On the way home I fell asleep in the car before we stopped by Alfred's house so he could make sure it is being cared for satisfactorily in his absence. We also stopped and bought another pineapple, yummmm my favorite.

Tomorrow we have lots of preparations still to be make with each prison warden and the Bibles will be delivered.  I might actually get to bed before 11 tonight.

Even with a modem I am having problems loading photos so some posts will not contain them, sorry.


Thank you for upholding me and the team with your faithful prayers,

That none would be lost,

Arlene

No comments:

Post a Comment