Friday, July 18, 2014

July 18 - 3rd. encounter with police

Ministry Partners,

Today  we were served and ate our traditional breakfast in the garden.
 
Only three more mornings to eat sausage, omelet, samosa, sliced tomato, pineapple juice and African tea.


 
 As we ate we watched the young boy clean the tile steps as he does every morning, taking a bucket of water and sprinkling the tiles and steps with handfuls of the water before wiping them by hand with a towel. It is the typical way to clean here but similar also to Rwanda. It makes my back hurt just watching the way they clean here but the finished product is always sparkling and they know how to bend here ......from their hips.


After breakfast it was time to make the trek into the capitol city to accomplish errands but on our return we had our third encounter with the police here. I will not write the particulars here as I never know who is reading this blog but I will say that the standard of practice here when one encounters the police is VERY interesting to say the least.

 I will be sharing about that and many interesting stories when I do my Power Points so make sure and invite me to your church.

In town I was able to purchase a beautiful dress for the holidays and I told Pastor Aaron that if my luggage was now over weight that I would just wear 2 or 3 outfits home on the plane to which he laughed. He has the most infectious laugh and wonderful sense of humor, I so enjoy working with him and together we have a great time teasing Alfred. It is really just pay back for the way Alfred teases us.

Alfred was able to pick up his computer that had been in the repair shop before we returned to the motel for a late IRM peanut butter sandwich lunch. While we were in town I was able to give two Muslim women each a scarf and tract and they were very pleased to receive them. As they read the tracts may the Holy Spirit plant the scriptures contained on the tract deep into their hearts and bring them to salvation. I am so thankful for the promise that God's Word will not return void!!!!

Pastor Geoffrey had other commitments so later in the sfternoon the guys left to run some other errands and Alfred wanted to go to the saloon. I laugh every time I see that printed on a shop as here and in Rwanda it means a salon, a place to get your hair cut or fixed not a bar to get a drink. If a van, motor bike or car connects with your car it "knocked you" not hit you and if a car "tooted" at us here they would say it "hooted" at us. We have so much fun discussing the different way words are used in America and here. Actually sometimes the words they use here to define the subject or situation is better than the English word we would use.

Since they are not sure when they will get back due to the traffic issue especially at that time of day Alfred helped me ordered something different from the menu hoping to get something I can actually eat. The chef that was here until last week was very good but has quit so we are not sure who is trying to fill that position now but even the girl who served our breakfast said the current quality of the food has been a problem.

All the staff here is so nice, helpful and their smiles brighten the space around them. Today I noticed one of the servers reading her Bible and I told her how good it was that she was reading God's word. I found that she was having a discussion with one of the other girls about the length of a woman's hair and they laughed about the length of my hair for a 70 yr. old woman.

Like I posted before I have the sound system in my room so I get to play the stick the has only Rwandan and Lugandan songs on it. The staff has said how much they like me to have my door and window open so they can also enjoy the praise and worship songs. Tonight the server came to my room at 6 to tell me my dinner was ready but I stopped to get my water bottle and when I got to the hall there she was dancing to the music. When she noticed I had seen her she and I both laughed.

Well, I just came from eating dinner and I realized when I started eating that I forgot to take my camera with me. This meal was good, it was called beef stew - clunks of tender beef in a sauce of tomatoes, fine cut carrots, bell peppers, onions and an unusual seasoning. It came in a bowl and my plate had rice to pour it over as well as some chips and some wonderful fresh green beans sauteed with carrots and onions. It was a good choice on my part and someone prepared it well.

The day has seemed odd since I was not speaking at a crusade but it was a bit restful to get some errands done. There will be a crusade tomorrow so please pray that the Holy Spirit would speak into the hearts of those present.

The team appreciates your faithful prayers for the remaining days of ministry as well as our travel home.
Pastors Geoffrey and Aaron remain in Uganda and Alfred will not be traveling through Europe to return to Australia but I will be traveling through Belgium to reach home and it's my understanding that flights going through Europe might be rerouted because of the downed Malaysia plane.

With only 2 day of ministry remaining,
That none would be lost,

Arlene
for the team

1 comment:

  1. thanks for you update. I'd love to taste that African tea! Have a safe flight home, will be praying as I've been since you left. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete