Saturday, July 12, 2014

July 12 - Mukono Prison

Ministry Partners,

It's so hard to believe that today was the last day for prison ministry and in 9 days I will be leaving this beautiful country for the states. Although this was the last day to enter prisons there is now much village community ministry to do.

Most of the prison Officers in Charge are a "bit" skeptical of us, mainly this white skinned woman, but by the time we are finished with our crusade and ministry time their view of the complete team has changed. They express such gratitude for our coming and invite us to come back anytime and most certainly next year!!!
The sentiments of the  prisoners not only echo that of the O.C.'s but exceed them.

Every morning I wake up here I am reminded how truly blessed I am to know I am right in the center of God's will for me. I pray God allows me to continue this ministry to the Great Lakes Region that He called me to in 2005.

Today after breakfast in the garden Aaron left with $300 to order the part to replace the missing molding for the car that needs to be replaced before we leave. He returned by noon so we could proceed to Mukono Prison for our scheduled 2pm crusade time.

The drive to the prison took 1 1/2 due to traffic and road construction and along the way we purchased a pineapple from a roadside vender.
 
Pineapple cut, bagged and ready to eat

When we arrived the Officer in Charge was not there and had not informed the remaining staff that we were coming. A young officer of 5 years named Irene was gracious and welcoming to us and showed us where to set up in a tiny dirt courtyard.
Arlene & Officer Irene

It was an interesting set up to say the least with the men under a covered porch area that connected to their group holding areas and the 8 women under an opposite covered area. Lets just say I felt like the center of a sandwich!!!!!

Irene asked us to wait a bit as some of the  workers were on their way returning, in fact a second group waoul be returning even later. We tolde her we could wait for the first group but unable to wait for the last group as we had a considerable drive back to Kampala.

It was interesting to watch them unlock the men's holding areas so the men that were there could enter the porch area and get some sunlight, every door everywhere always has had the largest metal lock.

As we waited Lugandan worship music played from our battery operated sound system (a good thing as there was no electricity at this prison) I asked for and was given permission by Irene to go and greet the women. I had enough scarves with me and the women seemed surprised but very happy as I put a beautiful scarf in their hands. One woman had a little boy about 3 so I gave him a whistle. A couple of the women spoke some English so I was able to speak directly with them and ask about the food they were cooking for their dinner. Irene said they were there for a number of reasons and some had not had a trial as yet. One woman was in there for kidnapping a child and when I asked her the particulars it reminded me of the story of Solomon and the two woman in the Bible.

I always try and connect in some way with the women, especially in eyesight of the men, as it seems to really break the ice so to speak.

Finally the men we were waiting for arrived and we began the crusade.......and then it began to rain. We moved our stuff to the side where the women were as the sound system was on the men's side. I kept preaching and finally after about 15-20 min. the rain stopped so I walked back to the center again. The rain could not deter the Holy Spirit's work in the hearts of the prisoners. It surely was another day to give the Lord praise for His work in their lives.

And as we saw at the prison yesterday the gift of Bibles, Booklets and blankets brought applause from both men and women prisoners.

 We stopped a short distance from the prison and gave God praise for the 6 days of prison ministry He provided.
The drive home took Alfred even longer as the evening traffic was heavy but I was able to take a hot bath before the team's scheduled dinner.

Tomorrow I will be doing a crusade in a village church so I appreciate your prayers for a fresh anointing from the Holy Spirit.

Thanking you for your partnership in this ministry.

That none would be lost,

Arlene
for the team

No comments:

Post a Comment