Monday, July 25, 2016

July 25 ....... Walking in the rain



Ministry Partners,

A very good morning to you from Kisoro, it is our last morning here.

Before I posted to the blog last night Geoffrey and Aaron had gone to get the van washed and by the time I had finished the post they had not returned and it was getting late so Alfred said it was best for us to take a walk and see if there was anything close where we could get some dinner. We found a small “hole in the wall” as we would call it not too far away and ordered goat brunette (goat on a stick) and chips. Sounded like it would be quick but in actuality it took about an hour and a half! I think perhaps they had to go butcher the goat.

It started raining hard before we finished eating and it had gotten dark and I mean DARK outside. Alfred made arrangements with the owner for him to have breakfast ready for us at 7:30 so we could be on the road to the prison by 8 and then we started back to our lodgings. There were no street lights and I told Alfred I could not even see the ground and held tight to his arm as we walked fast in the darkness with it raining on us. Alfred had on walking shorts and a shirt but he had given me his sweatshirt hooded jacket a few days ago for which I was thankful as it is really cold in this area. 

At one point we saw the headlight of a fast approaching motorbike that was far too close to us, I mean I could have reached out and touched him as he was on my side. He shouted as he whizzed by, “Hey man what you doin” to which Alfred shouted into the darkness, as the man was already past us and headed down the dirt road, “We’re doin what your doin, going down the road.” We both couldn’t keep from laughing.
But both of us were soaked by the time we got back, next time I think we will wait for the van if we see a darkened sky. What a fun adventure and memory!! 

We are told that the drive to Kisoro Prison is a short one so we should be done by 1 then we will head north and to stay overnight in Mbarara, the same place where we stayed on the way down.

It was an interesting morning as I was awakened by fervent prayer around 5 by the guys gathered in Alfred’s and Aaron’s next door room. Geoffrey said they were doing spiritual warfare. 
Outside it appears like it rained most of the night and I am glad I am not sleeping in one of the flimsy tents on the ground that a group of cross country tourists are using for their overnight stay where we were. I think I saw about 12 - 14 small 2-person tents.

The place we had ordered breakfast was just opening up but they had our food ready quickly. We prayed for the food and the prisoners and officers that would hear the Gospel today. The guys ordered the same type of local food ( mainly Matoki with a tomato broth and 4 tiny pieces of beef) they had yesterday and I had Chapattis with the peanut butter and jelly from our lunch sack and all of us had African tea. 

As we headed off to the prison I was concerned about the dark looming rain filled clouds above so when Alfred went to the O.C.’s office for the first time I grabbed Geoffrey and together we stood in agreement and prayed asking God to hold back the rain until we were done as the prisoners and the team would be outside in the open.

 
 The O.C., Phillip & Arlene

The O.C., Phillip, was a tall good looking very kind man who graciously welcomed us and when Alfred asked how much time we could have he responded that we could take as long as we needed. He said there were 11 women, some with babies and 152 men. I really liked him and his gentle but firm demeanor and later during our time there it was clear that the inmates liked him. 

I asked him if I could have a photo with him and he graciously agreed. When they are informed of my age they treat me and my requests with such respect.

We gathered our equipment and headed inside a small open courtyard where they had laid down some tarps for the prisoners to sit on and over to the far right was a place for the woman with a woman guard sitting behind them. As the guys were setting up I asked for permission to greet the woman and the O.C. approved. The first couple of women were hesitant and unsure but they all knelt before me as I greeted them. 

The Aaron turned on the music on our sound system and Geoffrey and I started dancing to the praise music and kept dancing as we helped Alfred and Aaron get everything ready and the prisoners joined in. I love to just watch them. 

At one point as I was about to give the invitation I felt a few drops of rain on my face and I silently asked for God to hold back the rain again, the sky was black. Praise Jesus for his yes answer to our prayers as no more rain fell and even the O.C. responded to the invitation to accept God’s free gift of salvation.

It was so cold that many of the prisoners were shivering but they stayed right there until we were done. You should hear the cheers and applause when I tell them that Americans are praying for them. I can only imagine how it speaks to their hearts to know they are not forgotten and someone cares. Thank you for caring about these men and women.

I told them of the gifts we had brought for them Bibles sets, blankets and then I gave each woman one of the donated handmade shopping bags. To each woman who made one …..Thank you, everything was such a blessing. 

When we finished the O.C. said 6 of the men wanted to sing a song for us to thank us and then one of the men and one woman shared their appreciation to the O.C for allowing us to visit and then thanked us.

As we signed the book in the O.C.’s office he thanked us again and said how our coming helps the prisoners.

Then it was off to Mbarara . through the rain, where we arrived at 4 o’clock but not before stopping along the way ……. I had to have some pineapple with dinner tonight and I couldn’t help taking photos of some of the darling children.
1 more darling child

Please continue praying that we would find favor with the O.C.’s and for the open hearts of the officers and prisoners for the Gospel.

That none would be lost,
Arlene

No comments:

Post a Comment