Sunday, July 31, 2016

July 31 ……… Bible School Graduation



Ministry Partners,

It was an early morning wake up today with needing to be at the graduation for a Bible School here. I must admit that speaking for this commencement is really out of my comfort zone so it is another time to be totally dependent on the Holy Spirit to help me.

When I entered the bathroom I discovered a huge bug in my bathtub who was trying to climb out. I certainly did not want him in my room running around so the bottom of my flip flop solved the problem.

We finished breakfast and headed to the graduation as it started at 9AM. Peace, a graduate and friend of Alfred’s from childhood met us outside the building and she looked beautiful in her lime green cap and gown. As she took us to get our badges the room inside was a vision of beauty all draped in sheer chiffon type white cloth, even the ceiling. On the platform were pillars and urns filled with flowers and small twinkling lights around the outside. 
The chairs for dignitaries were covered with white fabric with lime green circles while the other chairs were covered in red. The dignitary’s tables were covered with greenery and red roses and  included water and juice while in the center of those tables was one large revolving stand with 4 large open bible cakes and a three tier green colored cake on top and that was topped with a graduation cap.

A few minutes after we were seated they came a got me to take me in the back where the Chancellor of  Makerere University, which just happens to be where Alfred went to University, and other officials with degrees were. One of the men was an American but lives in Uganda, running a school out in the bush where two Muslim communities are. I was really out of my element and trying not to feel intimidated! 
We chatted for a few minutes and then they took us to a room to get our gowns and caps put on. I wore my new Ugandan dress and I immediately wished I had worn something lighter as my gown was really heavy and warm and the hat/cap …… well it was something to behold. I was thankful that the only other woman in the group had a hat just like mine. 
 After we all had our gowns on we marched into the hall to applause and were seated together and tables closer to the platform. I missed sitting with Aaron and Alfred but sat between the other woman and the Chancellor, who invited me to speak at his University. I liked them and they were both friendly to me. I stood in the line and greeted everyone after they received their diplomas and then the different speakers shared there were four of us and I was the final one. 
 
 They provided a buffet meal and we were assigned a graduate to carry our tray with plate through the line as we stated what we wanted. It’s hard for me to be waited on.
I don’t think I have had my photo taken so many times and Alfred said the News people filmed everything and I would be on the News tonight!!! 

We finished about 3:30 and headed out of town to Peace’s church for the evening service. It was a sweet village church and after worship it was my turn to share.
When I finished we passed out bibles to those adults who did not have one and then four came forward to share what it meant to have us there. One man told me the message I preached was just for him and a woman stated she had lived her life with self-condemnation and unforgiveness but tonight she forgave herself. 

The traffic back to our hotel was a distance and even though it was a Sunday night the traffic was bizarre. We were in a roundabout on the inside next to the curb. Unlike the U.S. were you enter one at a time, here they enter about 3 wide and then there are also motorbikes. Alfred had come to a complete stop as everyone was trying to get through first. And then it happened, the car to our left came from behind but was going to be first, he hit the front left side of our car damaging the headlight and surrounding area and ripping off the bumper, AND HE KEPT ON GOING!!!!!

Aaron jumped out and grabbed the bumper off the ground and threw it in the back of the van so we would not run over it and all the while the people on the sidewalk were hollering after the person who hit us and disappeared into the night. Then we took off to follow the person but we never found him. The guys said it was futile to stay there and take the chance of getting hit again and calling the police when the other car was not there, so they could measure things, would profit nothing. And because there was not a police report there is a good chance the insurance will not pay to fix the van. 

Alfred called the van owner and he said will bring another van for us to use tomorrow and take ours to be fixed. We have the license number of the other driver for our van owner to give to the police. Even in this we are all thankful and praising God that the damage was not worse and that since the other car hit my side of the car …… I was not injured. Praise His Name!!!

 Please pray that they find the person who hit us so that our insurance will be good.
We were all exhausted by the time we got to the hotel at 9 and tomorrow is another prison.

All of us covet your prayers.

Verse for today -
Yet to all who did receive him, to those who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God— children born not of natural descent, nor of human decision or a husband’s will, but born of God.
John 1:12-13 NIV

That none would be lost
Arlene


2 comments:

  1. Arlene, Isaiah 33:5-6 says, "The LORD is exalted, for He dwells on high; He will fill Zion (Arlene) with His justice and righteousness. He will be the sure foundation for your times, a rich store of salvation and wisdom and knowledge; the fear of the LORD is the key to this treasure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Arlene, Isaiah 33:5-6 says, "The LORD is exalted, for He dwells on high; He will fill Zion (Arlene) with His justice and righteousness. He will be the sure foundation for your times, a rich store of salvation and wisdom and knowledge; the fear of the LORD is the key to this treasure.

    ReplyDelete