Wednesday, July 20, 2016

July 21 - Ntungamo Prison



Ministry Partners,

Six o’clock came way to early when I got to bed so late. I was disappointed that I had no water in the African shower last night and only a trickle in the sink but at least the trickle was hot. I had 

Everything ready last night before retiring so it did not take me long to get ready this morning. The guys came at 6:30 to carry my luggage and the sound system to the van and then we went for the breakfast of African omelet, sausage, toast, fresh pineapple, fresh pineapple juice and African tea, which took me years to develop a taste for but now I really like it. Instead of plain milk I have a bit of it on my granola that I bring with me as I am not a big fan of eggs.

Today was the first time since I’ve been here that we actually 10 minutes before the time we planned for. That was a good thing as we had a 1 1/2 hour drive to today’s prison as we were told to be there between 8:30 and 9:00. You are never sure at the prisons what you will find but we always pray that we would find favor with the administration so we can have the time we need to present an meaningful program. 

The metal doors to the prison seemed daunting although I have seen similar before. As we drove in we could observe some women prisoners washing dishes from whatever they had had for breakfast. I asked the guard who greeted us how many women were there and he responded 15. Then we asked if the O.C. was a woman or a man, so I could take the appropriate gift when I met him but was informed that he was in Nairobi. 

We were strongly instructed to turn over all cameras and phones but they approved when we said we would just leave them in the van, Alfred set up our battery operated sound system as the prisoners danced. This is the first time they were not accessible to me but were kept behind a locked wire fence while the women were outside and where I could actually greet them with an African cheek to cheek greeting which I did. We continued dancing while the music played, it was great fun. 

When we asked how much time I would have they agreed to 2 ½ - 3 hours would be OK, I was ecstatic as I would not have to rush but take all the time I needed which I did.

The Social Affairs officer said the prisoners wanted to greet us by singing, dancing and using their African drums, they could not have given me a better gift. 

I took all the time I needed and watched the Holy Spirit add many added to the Lambs Book of Life but when I concluded with the entire forgiveness message where so very many men and women responded it was the women who were weeping. During that time the Deputy Officer in Charge appeared in one of the doorways. Her name is Eunice and she was a beautiful young woman but very much in control.

We advised them of the Bible sets and blankets we had brought for them and I was thankful for the women at home who so graciously donated shawl scarves as I had enough for every woman. What fun it was to hug each one as I put the shawl in their hands. They honored me and knelt before me in greeting. I cannot tell you how hard it is for me to have them do that!!!!! 

Two men prisoners acknowledged how much they appreciated our coming and one of them prayed for us while one of the women told us how she had prayed forgiveness over the person who caused her to be in prison and that today was the first time she had seen a white person.

I went to the Deputy O.C. and asked he if I might have a photo with her for my report to which she said yes so I quickly went to the van and when I returned she asked me to come to her office in very good English. Aaron came and took a couple photos and left. She had some very complementary words concerning what she had observed after she arrived. She told me how important it was for the prisoners to have heard that regardless of their past God loved them and they DID have value. I encouraged her for a bit and then told her I had to leave.

I danced with the prisoners and waved goodbye. The men had put everything back in the van leaving our sound system playing music until last, then Alfred put it in and we drove out of the complex.
  
WHAT AN AMAZING DAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I had the opportunity to share the love of Christ, watch the Holy Spirit work then worship and dance with my brothers and sisters in Christ.
It was a 1 ½ hour drive to the town where we would stay overnight and meet up with Pastor Geoffrey. 
Arlene on the top balcony of our hotel

We thought we have found just the right place to stay,
I even had a bathtub to soak my aching back in BUT we questioned that choice after checking in when MANY of normal amenities were not available like running water in the faucets. Just proof that outside looks can be deceiving. I will just let you imagine the rest and I will consider it an adventure. No one ever said that being a missionary would be without challenges.

Please pray for the prisoners who made decisions for Christ today;
That none would be lost,
Arlene
  

2 comments:

  1. Arlene, I am amazed and blessed by your willingness to be flexible for Jesus, particularly when it comes to being clean! "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me!" Praise God!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Arlene, I am amazed and blessed by your willingness to be flexible for Jesus, particularly when it comes to being clean! "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me!" Praise God!

    ReplyDelete