Monday, December 30, 2019

Dec. 30


Ministry Partner,

It is hard to believe that there only two more days for the year 2019. However, I am very pleased that as the year 2020 quickly approaches I am in Africa sharing the gospel of Jesus Christ.
Just two days ago the scorching sun had caused blisters on my neck/back and yesterday evening it was so cold here, in this area, I had to put my jacket on. In a few days we will be back in Kampala where I understand it is once again very warm.

Today, I woke up early at 6:20 and decided I would go ahead and get ready, as we need to load the van with all my things, have breakfast and then proceed to the men’s prison. Pastor Aaron I had agreed to meet at 7:45 but by 7:20, I went to his door and knocked letting him know that I was up and ready.

I had hoped for more of those delicious pancakes for breakfast today but instead we had tea, Chapatti’s, omelets, potatoes and pineapple. Pineapple always makes it a good breakfast for me when I am here.

We got the van loaded quickly and were off on the short drive to Bushenyi Prison. As we arrived I could see that they were also preparing for the day has a few of the prisoners were sweeping the dirt driveway with there hand made brooms. 

After going through the first checkpoint, we were taken to the OC’s office. During our conversation, I told him that at some of the smaller prisons they always bring all the prisoners when we are there to speak with them but at some of the larger prisons, they do not bring everyone. I asked him if it was possible that all the 1,700 prisoners would be allowed to come today and I told him that we felt it was important that everyone feel invited because we were not going to teach church doctrine from any denomination but we were only going to teach biblical precepts. I was thrilled when he said yes and I was very thankful that he allowed Aaron to take a photo of him and me for my report. This OC similar to the Deputy OC yesterday at the women’s side had a very special demeanor, I liked him immediately. I could see that if he needed to be tough he certainly could but he had a kindness about him that was unmistakable.

We were surprised to learn that in a prison of that size they did not have their own sound system. Although ours is working intermittently, Aaron decided to go and set up our speaker, hoping that although we knew the battery portion was not working that by hooking into their electricity we would be able at least touse the handheld mics even though I prefer my headset. I stayed in the OCs office and chatted with him about the variety of things, including what our crusades entailed and at one point I looked him in the eye and asked him if he knew Jesus as his personal Savior. He said he did and I asked him when he did that and he said in 2012 but he did not explain any further and I felt, for whatever the reason, that I should not probe further.

After some time I could hear the drums and the voices of the prisoners loudly singing and as I followed the OC to the area where the men were I told him I much I appreciated their singing.
Even though I have made over 210 entrances into prisons walking up to a large group of them like today almost takes my breath away. What a wonderful opportunity God has given me to be here and to share the truth of his word. And even after doing ministry in that many prisons today was the first, the first time an OC has stayed through our entire crusade. I noticed that when I gave the invitation for those who wanted to receive God’s free gift of salvation and know for sure that they would go to heaven when they died, to stand, that the OC stood and prayed the prayer. 

Although I grew up not even knowing there was a God the people of Africa have a wonderful religious head knowledge concerning religious things but that head knowledge can keep them in bondage. The teaching concerning “head knowledge” not being sufficient for salvation and that it was a gift that had to be received according to Rom. 6:23 and Ephesians 2:8-9. It is a powerful teaching as they realize they cannot do enough good works to get to heaven and that they must admit they are a sinner, ask Jesus for forgiveness and ask him to come into their heart and life, believing that he rose in the grave and conquered death.

Hundreds and hundreds responded to the invitation as well as to the “Forgiveness Prayer” but as I got to the part where I talked them about how to stick out their hand, say the words,“ I’m sorry” almost everyone there turned to someone else and apologized. I turned and looked at the OC and he nodded at me agreeing that what I told him in his office was so important. I could see that he was thankful, as I was, that he had given me as much time as I needed to share our whole program. Then we asked a few of the prisoners to give us a testimony of how God worked in their heart today:

  • He said he was thankful that we had come and that he wanted to state publicly to every fellow inmate who had wronged him that he forgave them.
  • He said he had learned three things today:
  1. He learned about making choices and their outcome and that he was in prison because he made wrong choices.
  2. He said he had given his life to Christ today
  3. He said he learned the importance of forgiving those who wronged you and the importance of forgiving yourself
  • He said God sent an angel to the prisoners today. Let us get ready to go outside and make a difference. He said he learned how to love his wife and children so that they do not fall victims to what Bishop Arlene went through with her husband.
After each man spoke I stepped forward and gave him a hug but there was an odd stiffness to each one of them that I have not witnessed at other prisons. As I spoke later with Pastor Aaron he said that most of them have probably never been hugged and they just did not know how to react to someone showing them that kind of love to them. Oh my goodness …….. something as simple as a hug.

There was an officer there who was in charge of their welfare and as we were packing up to go he said to the inmate who had who had worn the golden rope for the object lesson that he should not take it lightly that the Holy Spirit had chosen him to speak to him through being chosen to wear the golden robe. He told him to forget what was in the past and to focus on what God is going to be teaching the inmates through him. 

I did not have time to discuss with the Welfare officer but I am sure as he said that the Holy Spirit has something in mind for that young man.

The prisoners all raised their hands and clapped as one stepped forward and said that they all wanted me to come back again. As we were leaving, many prisoners came to shake my hand with two of them putting something in my hand. I only looked down and opened my hand when I got in the van but they were handwritten notes one in English requesting help with funds for his attorney for his upcoming trial and the other one was in Lugandan which Pastor Aaron will have to translate for me.
 
We loaded up and drove around the man’s area over to the women’s section where we were yesterday. I saw the Deputy OC, this time in her official uniform and not a dress like yesterday. She smiled broadly as soon as she saw me walking towards her. She asked me if I was coming again to share with the women but I told her I was just bringing a few very small crocheted caps for newborn babies that I wanted to leave with her. She thanked me and gave me a big hug.

As we drove away there were some men inmates standing in the road shelling huge piles of beans and  there were also rows of carrots planted alongside the road.

Then it was off to the town of Mbarara where we will visit a men’s and women’s prison, it will be a busy day tomorrow. 

I was happy we found lodging at the same hotel where we stayed a few years ago and this time my room actually has a bathtub where I can soak my aching low back in the evening. This is the first time since I have been here and I have been able to have a bathroom with a bathtub.
After we had the buffet lunch, instead of our regular PP&J, that they served here Aaron was off to get the van washed and buy some AA batteries for the handheld microphones that we use and I am busy writing this blog.

Thank you for praying for me. The blisters on my back are healing, I am sleeping some better every night and the pain in my lower back is no longer constant but comes and goes.
Please continue to pray for:
  • Open hearts for the gospel
  • An outpouring of the Holy Spirit
  • A fresh anointing for the team
  • Health and also safety for the team as we travel
That none would be lost,
Arlene

1 comment:

  1. Praise God for you and the team Arlene. God's continued favor and blessings on you all.

    ❤🙏🏼

    ReplyDelete