Sunday, December 22, 2019

Dec. 22



Ministry partners,

Today was an interesting day it started at 4 o’clock for me. I still and not sleeping well and even though the loud music actually ended by 10 o’clock last night the local cats kept up their verbalizing most of the night. I woke up about every two hours and finally at 4 o’clock knee that was the end of my “sleeping time”.

At 6:30 we began loading the van with our portable sound system and all the other things that we were going to need for the day, and then we went to have breakfast and were on the road by 7:30.
We were in for a bit of surprised when we to Kisignity Prison as there was a sign on the outside door stating that no visitors would be allowed to enter the prison from December 20 until January 5. We showed the guards are official letter from the Deputy Commissioner of prisons Apollo stating that we did have permission to inner but they said no. At that point, Aaron called Pastor Peace and asked her to call Commissioner of Prisons Elizabeth and see what could be done to help us. We waited just a short period of time and then saw the O C walking toward us while he was talking on the phone. He said, “Yes I know her, yes she’s been here before many times.” The rest of the conversation was in Lugandan and so I wasn’t sure what was being said but at one point when he finished his conversation with Elizabeth he asked us to follow him through the gate and into his office. And yes even though we had not yet received the letter from Deputy Commissioner Apollo that we could take photos he agreed that I could have a photo with him. Indeed, God opened the door no man could close.

There were over 200 prisoners there plus about 16 women from a separate area and when I asked them how many had heard me speak before no one responded which told me that these were all new prisoners. Erin is a master when it comes to all the technology stuff and setting up equipment for for whatever reason he was unable to get our portable sound system working today so we both just increased our volume of yet as I spoke and he translated for me. The sun was fairly hot so I was glad that the prisoners were sitting under an overhang for a bit of shade while I had put on sunscreen everywhere except the back of my neck which I forgot. Oh well I will remember that tomorrow. I was just so glad to have new prisoners to share the gospel with. We saw a great response from the prisoners for not only salvation and forgiveness but if with those you who were also willing to apologize to each other. After we were finished, I was able to distribute new donated shopping bags to the women prisoners. It was nice to give them something new to store their meager belongings in.

Then it was time for us to proceed to Maximum Security Kampala Remand Prison, which is a prison of about 2000. However, at this prison we were so graciously welcomed as Elizabeth had already called the O.C. is easiest. He explained to me that the guards had asked him for one of the four cases of Bibles that were delivered yesterday but I told him that I needed to have integrity with my contributors. That’s guards have a job and receive a salary for which, if they really wanted a Bible, they could save a little every payday and by one but the prisoners had no opportunity to purchase one. He said he agreed and that it would be fine that all of the Bibles would go to the prisoners. I appreciate such a gracious O. C..
I think it was a very good thing that this year each prison was given a letter when they received their off load of Bibles and supplies with the IRM header on it requesting that the supplies not be distributed as they had been counted and that the IRM team would distribute them after they arrived to do ministry.

The Deputy OC accompanied us to the area where the prisoners would me and although I was outside I was glad that there was a tent covering. When we first arrived and begin setting up we were told that the Catholics were having their prayer time and the Pentecostals were having their prayer time and the Muslims were having their prayer time and that we needed to wait. One of the prisoners helping set up their sound system had some questions for me. He wanted to know if reconciliation was really possible when someone was very offended or a family was fractured and that a number of the prisoners had become quite excited to find out that International Reconciliation Ministries was coming to spend some time with them. We actually had the opportunity to spend quite some time talking and I told him that he would learn more during our Crusade.

I told the prisoners about my discussion with the OC and told them that the next time they saw him to thank him for the decision he made to allow them to have all the Bibles.
I was a bit disappointed that although there were 2000 prisoners here only about 1000 came for our crusade but I certainly was not disappointed in the salvation and forgiveness prayer responses as well as those who responded and apologized to each other. What a powerful work of the Holy Spirit we saw today.

Before leaving, the prisoners gave me an early Christmas present as they sang a worship praise song. I so enjoy hearing African men with their powerful voices singing and giving honor to God. No instruments just a couple of drums, it was beautiful. I could have sat there all day.
On the way home, we had our traditional IRM lunch of a PB&J sandwich. It is not the easiest thing to make those using your laptop going down a bumpy road.

I just cannot close this blog without telling you about tonight’s dinner. I decided to opt for another bacon cheeseburger but requesting them to please make sure I had cheese and bacon on it. It was to be ready at seven as I had preordered for 7 but by 7:30 I was still waiting and when it came…….there was no cheese! I asked them to please bring just a slice of cheese but when the girl came I could not contain my laughter, this time so loud it was almost embarrassing and I could not stop myself. 
 
 

There was the cheese, and a saucer, melted like ... very melted like ... indistinguishably melted. I ended up apologizing to the poor waitress for my outburst but told her I’d never seen anything served quite like it. Off she went to the kitchen this time coming back with a recognizable slice of cheese.

I guess when you are as tired as I am you find humor in such simple things but really I just don’t have words for being served something like that!!! I think tomorrow I will try the cashew chicken that someone else was having, it looked pretty good.

I think that is enough for today, once again, the loud music outside my window has stopped and it’s an early 10:30. Hopefully, I will get a good night’s rest tonight we have another busy day tomorrow with two prisons that are farther away.

Please continue to pray for us, we need it and your prayers are working. This morning when I arose it was the first time since I came that my lower back was not in pain. 

That none would be lost,
Arlene

3 comments:

  1. Praising the Lord for no lower back pain. Not sure about that cheese, but you tried. Thanking the Lord for souls saved and lives being reconciled.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thx mom, continued blessings upon you.

    ReplyDelete