Friday, July 31, 2015

July 31





Ministry Prtners,

It was good to not have to get up until 7:30 but I still awoke at 7 and this morning it was not to rainy skies.

After breakfast we decided to change plans and make a run, crawl, into Kampala City for Alfred to  pick up his new drivers license and exchange IRM money. Pastor Aaron and I will mozie through the market that is across the street even though I have o  room for any new purchases in my luggage. I have been so blessed with gifts that in addition to the new IRM head set, teaching materials, and ect. that  must come back my cloths and personal items must also come back. All the electronic equipment must come back in my carry-on. I have already been trying to decide which things I can just give away.

We needed to park in a Security guarded parking lot and wait for Alfred to go inside and pick up his new drivers license. But as Aaron was backing up to leave he hit a raised cement edging that was around a small tree, it was similar to the ones in the states that are there to bump your tire against when parking. The guard at the entrance would not allow us to leave as he said the lot guard had notified him of what had happened. We returned to the spot of the crime and Aaron got out of the car to speak with the man. After some discussion Aaron put some money in the mans hands and we were then allowed to leave. Alfred and Aaron say, "That's Uganda" and explained that the day was hot and they needed some bottled water to drink.

After banking Alfred met us at the market and everyone took a quick look around to make sure they were not passing up a really great buy and then it was time to head back to Joka's where we have been  staying.  It was a good thing we did not plan on doing lots of shopping or errands as it poured rain as we were driving back. I was surprised that we saw no one selling pineapple on the way home, a day without pineapple ......... not sure I can make it!!!

Yesterday in one area where we traveled there are a number of speed bumps and the locals have taken it to advantage for as vehicles pull over for new passengers or traffic backs up they mob your vehicle. If your window is open you receive a barrage of fast food - bananas, matoki - peeled & roasted, beef on a stick, chicken on a stick (or pieces of both in a bag), bottled cold water or soda. It's fast food Ugandan style. I should have had Alfred buy pineapples yesterday.
Fast food - Ugandan style

Matoki - peeled & roasted
My room looks like a tornado has hit it as the sorting to give away more things begin, hummm, where did all this stuff come from anyway? But I must admit that having had those beautiful scarves, shawls and even men's ties were such a blessing to give away as a tangible gift of God's love. May each one of you who donated be richly blessed for your generosity. I have a special place picked out for the few I have left.

everyone on the team is busy doing personal things tonight, I might try to start sorting the few thingsstill in my personal suitcase in an effort to jump start my packing tomorrow OR I may just rest, finish a missionary's journey book and go to bed. Hummm, that sounds best.

That none would be lost,
Arlene

No comments:

Post a Comment