Tuesday, July 7, 2015

July 7th .......

Ministry Partners,

Another bright sunny day in beautiful Rwanda and we enjoyed a wonderful
breakfast, complimentary  with our nights stay.

Then it was off to Butare prisons better known now as Huye Prison. It was nice to only be a few minutes away from the prison as it is located right in Butare and not 2 to 3 hours away. Butare is a University town so is quite populous and busy. As we drove to the prison the prisoners were everywhere working along side the road and in the fields.

We entered the prison easily and we first met with the Deputy Director. How happy I was that he recognized me right off as we had met years before at Nsinda and at Changugu prisons. As I have said many times before Rwanda is a country of relationship first, then the task will always get done. While we were seated in his office another prison official appeared who greeted us with hugs and smiles. When we met him at Mpanga prison a number of years ago but now he is the Production Manager at this prison.

Even this prison has changed in that there are no women here now, it has only men inmates and at that about 10,500.

I asked if they had a gift shop there and a prison official who was in charge of that department was quickly given charge  over us to take us there. Pastor Aaron, Chad and I all bought some carved wooden items for gifts, it was nice to be able to support them. As we left the gift shop we observed some of the prisoners working in their handcrafting wood shop so I asked Alfred to ask her if we could look at the shop. We were given a unique opportunity as she gave us permission to stop and watch the six prisoners who were hand caving bowls of different sizes and shapes. As I watched them holding their individual bowl with their feet and chiseling away with sharp curved knives, hand chisels and wooden mallets it made me wonder how many times their toes had paid the price. Imagine my delight when she gave me permission to take photos, what a treat.

The beginning of a bowl
We left the wood working area and returned to the main offices to be handed off to the Social Affairs person who was a man who looked far to young for the position he held. He was ever so kind and his smile made his eyes sparkle and he spoke  mostly English to us but some Kinyarwanda to Alfred. He gave us a few instructions and then said he wanted us to go to a different area of the prison than the Deputy Director had originally suggested. He said he wanted me to speak to prisoners who had never heard me before and the wing he wanted me to go to had even more prisoners, about 5,500!!!

We could hear the men singing as we arrived at the appointed wing. And upon the choir of about 25 were vicariously singing and although the two guitars and keyboard were all playing a different tune ..... out of tune, the choir singing was strong and vibrant for three additional songs.

After a brief introduction from the Social Affairs orricer, who made a number of comments about how much the prisoners needed the Gospel because they had lost hope, the program was turned over to me. The prisoners were in the open although the place they gave me to speak from was covered but from time to time as I became more animated I too stepped out into the sunny area. At one point I saw dark clouds overhead and said a quick prayer asking God to hold back any rain. The young officer stayed through the entire 2 1/2 hours we were inside and as we left the area he allowed me to have my photo taken with him, it's a new relationship.
Arlene with the head of Social Services


Again..........again..........again we watched God do miracles as the Holy Spirit brought uncountable numbers to salvation and to forgiveness decisions. Such a sweet sight to my eyes and ears as they prayed.

The drive back to Kigali was marked with having our traditional PB & J or honey sandwich as Pastor Aaron drove and a stop at a repair shop to find out about a grinding noise in the front left wheel. Yes, it was as I suspected, the brake pad is completely gone.  We arrived a little later than expected in Kigali but my bed with the divot in it will feel great.

That none would be lost
Arlene

No comments:

Post a Comment