Thursday, July 23, 2015

July 23

Ministry Partners,

Today as we sat and waited, waited, waited for our 8 am breakfast we were a bit confused as it did not come although we watched others being served. Finally after 30 min. since no server was around Alfred called the tile cleaning man over and explained our situation. Off he went to the kitchen returning with the paper the receptionist had written on and there it was in black and white ...... she had made a mistake and written 9 am.. While waiting for our breakfast to arrive Aaron decided to take the van to be washed while I went and got a menu to see what I might find for dinner. I am so tired at night I don't feel like trying to find something to eat so have opted for their style of spaghetti and coleslaw the last 4 nights. As I asked Alfred to explain words I could not decipher his response to one, KIGERE, caused me to burst out in laughter. He said," Oh that's "foot of a cow!" and I said,"You mean the hoof?' to which he said, "Here in Uganda we eat everything." I decided no more questions were needed.
KIGERE = The foot of a cow
WELL, I don't think I will be ordering that but I so wish you were here Chad as you probably would order it. I was raised on a farm where we raised, butchered our own and ate lots of different animal parts but cow feet was not one of them. But Pork Hawaiian sounded like a possibility, with Alfred's or Aaron's help I'll have to question the servers later tonight about that menu item.

The tile cleaning man is a very interesting fellow. He is older than most staff I have seen around here and is always busy in a very enthusiastic fashion. A few days ago he appeared to be skating across the floor tile as he drug the towel attached to a long pole behind him or sometimes in front of him. 
He works hard keeping everything wiped down, floors, tables and counters but all with the same cloth
That is an improvement over last year when he bent over holding the towel in his hands as he cleaned the floor. Today I told him if I had a bushiness I would hire him as he is such a hard worker. He smiled broadly, put his hands together, bowed and said,"Thank you, thank you."
After about another 25 minutes our breakfast arrived by two new servers we had not seen before.

At 10:30 we loaded  the car and headed off West through busy Kampala City to the prison we were to go to today arriving at just about 2 pm the perfect time to began only to learn that ALL the prisoners were out working and Sunday is the only day they would be available to us so the decision was made to return Sunday afternoon after I preach that morning in the Foursquare Church. It will be a VERY long day so please pray for me and the team.

Then we decided to travel East back through Kampala City to the Entebbe area  where we were to minister at a prison there, just to make them aware that we would be there tomorrow so they could have prisoners there but due to a miss-communication found that they had expected us yesterday and wanted us to minister to the 104 assembled inmates this afternoon ..... it was after 4pm but we opted to do as requested leaving tomorrow for a different prison. Being flexible here is not an option but a prerequisite.

It was almost 9pm as we made it one more time through Kampala outskirts to our home base. A tired team we all were and I can tell you I was happy to help unload and make it to my room for a quick hot bath before eating a bite. Which leads me to the Pork Hawaiian I had Alfred order for me, he was so tired he just ordered it for himself too, although he had never had it before.
Pork Hawaiian
It was delicious with the sauce poured over the rice, the pork had pineapple & onions cooked with it, the was a bit of coleslaw and then of course the inevitable fries. We topped our meals off with some fresh pineapple Alfred had picked up for me at roadside. As a whole ........ DELICIOUS!!!!

Tomorrow is another long day so I am off to bed early 10:10pm.

That none would be lost,
Arlene

No comments:

Post a Comment